Audi left wrecked after late-night crash in Ipswich
- Credit: Chester Ward
A motorist has been arrested following late-night crash involving an Audi in Ipswich, which left another person injured.
Officers from Suffolk police were called to the incident in Norwich Road, close to the junction with Bramford Road, at midnight last night.
Pictures from the scene show the Audi smashed into a pole, wrecking the front of the car, with video shot by witnesses showing smoke billowing from the engine.
Norwich Road was cordoned off for several hours while officers cleared the street of glass and other debris.
A spokesman for Suffolk police confirmed one person had been arrested following the incident, while ambulance crews treated another for minor injuries.
You may also want to watch:
A witness, who lives in a flat overlooking the junction where the crash happened, said he heard a "big boom" shortly after midnight.
The man, who wished to remain anonymous, said: "Last night I woke up and my window was fully open. After midnight, I heard this sound.
- 1 Ipswich tech firm warns of spyware scare on Apple devices
- 2 Two arrested after man assaulted in Ipswich
- 3 'Microshop' selling only American candy opens in Ipswich
- 4 First look at full schedule for Sound City Ipswich music festival
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 6 Criminals confess to nearly 400 offences thanks to specialist police unit
- 7 School in Ipswich takes 'decisive action' to make rapid improvements
- 8 What are the best curry houses in Ipswich?
- 9 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 10 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
"It was a big boom. I could feel everything shaking. I am amazed the driver survived.
"The front of the car was completely smashed. Police were there all night cleaning up glass. After the road was cleared, cars were coming and going by 7am.
"I was worried. I was recording a video with a shaking hand. It was very stressful."