Crowning glory set to return
FELIXSTOWE Carnival is moving from its seafront site – and is set to return to the home it enjoyed for many years.This summer the event will be expanded to two days and will be based back at Langer Park, where many carnivals were held from the 1960s to the 1980s.
FELIXSTOWE Carnival is moving from its seafront site – and is set to return to the home it enjoyed for many years.
This summer the event will be expanded to two days and will be based back at Langer Park, where many carnivals were held from the 1960s to the 1980s.
Preparations are well underway, and organisers are getting ready for the first major event of the year – selection of the carnival queen and her princesses to take over from Faye Lloyd, Becky Vinecombe and Sarah Hawes.
Entries are being accepted now for the roles. Those girls wanting to be carnival queen must be 17 years or over and live in the Felixstowe and Trimley area, while applicants for princesses should be over seven.
You may also want to watch:
Entrants must be available for a variety of events during the summer months and the carnival court is invited to around five other carnivals in the region.
Felixstowe Carnival, which will have the theme Music, will be held on August 9 and 10.
- 1 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 4 Meet the Ipswich teenage singer who gave £17.5k away to charity
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: See the three men locked up this week
- 6 Duo jailed after 63 bags of cocaine found in hotel room
- 7 Man to face trial over claims he sexually assaulted toddler in the street
- 8 Kesgrave Kitchen praised by local MP after 'fantastic' transformation
- 9 Ipswich man charged with attempted murder
- 10 Stroke survivor cut off from family in lockdown returns home
Girls wanting to be queen or princesses should contact Zoe Lemmon at the One Thirty Sandwich Bar on 01394 270007.
Carnival secretary Richard Stewart said preparations were also under way for the carnival summer ball, which will be held at the Elizabeth Orwell Hotel, Hamilton Road, Felixstowe, on June 21.
Dress code for the evening will be black tie and tables for ten people are available at a cost of £399 per table. The ball will feature a four-course meal, followed by an auction of promises and dancing.
Last year's event was a huge success and raised more than £3,000 for charity. People interested in booking a table should see Mr Stewart at Marshall Warren Estate Agents or ring 01394 670800.
The carnival association is planning to hold a meeting with residents to allay any fears they might have about the use of Langer Park in Langer Road.
The fun fair will be based at the park, along with other attractions, live music and displays, and any groups or performers who wish to be involved should contact Mr Stewart. The weekend's other attractions will include an RAF Jaguar jet fighter display off the seafront.