Dad's praise for firefighters
AN Ipswich dad has today praised firefighters and his neighbours after they stopped his son's home going up in flames.Carl Thorpe was shocked to discover a blaze had broken out in the home his four-year-old son Tai shares with his girlfriend, Victoria Piper, around 2.
AN Ipswich dad has today praised firefighters and his neighbours after they stopped his son's home going up in flames.
Carl Thorpe was shocked to discover a blaze had broken out in the home his four-year-old son Tai shares with his girlfriend, Victoria Piper, around 2.45pm yesterday.
Thankfully no one was in the flat in the Rapier Street complex in Wherstead Road when the fire started and neighbours were able to alert the fire service who extinguished the flames before they engulfed the whole building.
Mr Thorpe, who regularly visits the flat, said: “The dog must have flicked on the knob on the cooker, the hob heated up and there was a jacket right next to the hob. That is how the fire started we think.
“The kitchen is really badly smoke-damaged and the fridge-freezer is obliterated.
“The firefighters were great. They got the door bust open and the fire under control and saved the rest of the flat otherwise it may have been a lot worse.
- 1 Take a look inside 15th Century farmhouse near Ipswich up for sale
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The county's criminals locked up in the last week
- 3 Missing 13-year-old boy from Hadleigh found safe
- 4 BrewDog, The Botanist and other reasons to be positive about Ipswich town centre
- 5 Empty Ipswich office block could become new flats
- 6 Tattingstone 'suitcase murder': 'Never too late' say police on 55th anniversary
- 7 Take a look inside new Ipswich restaurant that makes pizza the 'proper way'
- 8 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 9 Is Ipswich really England's oldest town? Experts give their view
- 10 House of Tweed leaves Ipswich after Christmas season
“A big thanks to the firefighters and to the neighbours for alerting them.”
Mr Thorpe said he was also pleased no one had been in the house at the time of the fire and added that the dog, Huxley, had escaped unharmed too.
Would you like to praise the emergency services? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com.