Damages for TV's Kate over 'affair' story

TV presenter Kate Garraway accepted substantial undisclosed libel damages today over allegations that she had an affair with Strictly Come Dancing partner Anton Du Beke.

TV presenter Kate Garraway accepted substantial undisclosed libel damages today over allegations that she had an affair with Strictly Come Dancing partner Anton Du Beke.

The 39-year-old GMTV host will receive a six-figure sum, including legal costs, from MGN Limited over articles which appeared in the Sunday Mirror and the Daily Mirror in February.

Her solicitor, Rachel Atkins, told Mr Justice Eady at London's High Court that MGN now accepted that there was "no truth whatsoever" in the claims and apologised.

She said that, contrary to the allegations, Garraway and her husband, Derek Draper, who were both in court, "are and were as faithful, happy and in love at the time of the publication as they had ever been.


You may also want to watch:


"The plain truth was that the claimant and Anton Du Beke became friends during Strictly Come Dancing. Since then they had often worked and spent time together.

"Given that the defendant had ignored the claimant's denials prior to and at the time of publication, the claimant felt she had no option but to immediately issue proceedings for defamation.”

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter