Days Gone By: Princess Alexandra opens Hayward Unit at Ipswich Hospital, 1979
- Credit: Archant
Royal visits always attract a huge crowd, and that proved no different when Princess Alexandra visited Ipswich Hospital in 1979.
The Honourable Lady Ogilvy made a speech at the opening and shook hands with many of the people who attended, including dozens of doctors, nurses and patients, and those from the local community.
Princess Alexandra, a cousin of Queen Elizabeth II, also enjoyed a tour of the facility during her visit.
Did you attend the opening of the new unit at Ipswich Hospital over 30 years ago?
Can you spot yourself or anyone you know in these pictures taken from our archives?
You may also want to watch:
To share your own pictures and memories with us, or to reveal the names of someone in the photographs, email email@example.com
- 1 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 2 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 3 Suffolk man waits 12 hours for ambulance after suffering stroke
- 4 Felixstowe woman accused of setting fire to caravan and drink driving
- 5 Royal Mail confirms removal of Ipswich postbox
- 6 Arrest warrants issued for men facing sheep charges
- 7 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 8 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 9 Ipswich reports England's highest rise in Covid infection rate
- 10 Budding musician caught with drugs in buttocks is spared prison