Decision awaited on park and ride scheme
A FINAL decision on proposals to create a park-and-ride scheme in Martlesham is today expected to give it the go-ahead.The proposed site, which would be located on land to the north-west of the A12 and A1214 roundabout, has already met objections from various groups in the area.
A FINAL decision on proposals to create a park-and-ride scheme in Martlesham is today expected to give it the go-ahead.
The proposed site, which would be located on land to the north-west of the A12 and A1214 roundabout, has already met objections from various groups in the area.
Nevertheless, a meeting of Suffolk County Council's development control committee, scheduled for today, is expected to give a green light to the scheme.
A spokesman for Suffolk County Council said: "It's one of our schemes so it's likely to get approved, but we cannot say for sure because it's up to the councillors on the day to make a decision."
The £2.8million park-and-ride scheme would provide space for 550 cars, with regular bus routes running through Kesgrave into Ipswich town centre.
The proposal would see traffic lights installed on all approaches to the A12 and A1214 roundabout.
- 1 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 2 Family's gratitude after Christmas samaritan's £50 act of kindness
- 3 Beautiful new bottomless brunches launch at Ipswich bar
- 4 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 5 Speed limit on Orwell Bridge reduced as Storm Barra hits region
- 6 Man arrested after Ipswich train station incident released
- 7 Police 'concerned' for missing 15-year-old who was last seen a week ago
- 8 Cash agreed for £1.9m school expansion project
- 9 Ipswich Station closed as man arrested for possessing a firearm
- 10 'Really lovely and easy to talk to' - Tributes to passionate beekeeper Alan
Both Kesgrave Town Council and Martlesham Parish Council have objected to the scheme. They are concerned about the impact the park-and-ride site would have on traffic in the area.
Local people have also registered their objections, with more than 80 residents packing into a September meeting of Martlesham Parish Council when the plans were first unveiled.
Suffolk Coastal District Council examined the Suffolk County Council proposal in October and also expressed concerns about it. They highlighted the fact that Suffolk County Council has "failed to justify the need" for a third park-and-ride site in Ipswich.