Decision awaited on park and ride scheme
A FINAL decision on proposals to create a park-and-ride scheme in Martlesham is today expected to give it the go-ahead.The proposed site, which would be located on land to the north-west of the A12 and A1214 roundabout, has already met objections from various groups in the area.
A FINAL decision on proposals to create a park-and-ride scheme in Martlesham is today expected to give it the go-ahead.
The proposed site, which would be located on land to the north-west of the A12 and A1214 roundabout, has already met objections from various groups in the area.
Nevertheless, a meeting of Suffolk County Council's development control committee, scheduled for today, is expected to give a green light to the scheme.
A spokesman for Suffolk County Council said: "It's one of our schemes so it's likely to get approved, but we cannot say for sure because it's up to the councillors on the day to make a decision."
You may also want to watch:
The £2.8million park-and-ride scheme would provide space for 550 cars, with regular bus routes running through Kesgrave into Ipswich town centre.
The proposal would see traffic lights installed on all approaches to the A12 and A1214 roundabout.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 2 Heavy police presence spotted in Ipswich as man arrested
- 3 Rushmere man admits downloading indecent images of children
- 4 9 bargain attractions within an hour of Ipswich
- 5 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 6 Hail, thunder and gusty winds forecast for Suffolk
- 7 Woman in 80s remains in hospital after serious collision in Ipswich
- 8 Ipswich father caught with indecent images of children avoids jail
- 9 Pub bosses hope for 'return to normality' as Covid cases fall in Ipswich
- 10 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
Both Kesgrave Town Council and Martlesham Parish Council have objected to the scheme. They are concerned about the impact the park-and-ride site would have on traffic in the area.
Local people have also registered their objections, with more than 80 residents packing into a September meeting of Martlesham Parish Council when the plans were first unveiled.
Suffolk Coastal District Council examined the Suffolk County Council proposal in October and also expressed concerns about it. They highlighted the fact that Suffolk County Council has "failed to justify the need" for a third park-and-ride site in Ipswich.