Delighted to be back in Ipswich
FRIENDS and family of Lol Hare got together on Sunday to celebrate the speedway star's first return trip to Ipswich.Lol was involved in an accident in Exeter on April 14 resulting in crushed vertebrae, which left him paralysed.
By Nick Richards
FRIENDS and family of Lol Hare got together on Sunday to celebrate the speedway star's first return trip to Ipswich.
Lol was involved in an accident in Exeter on April 14 resulting in crushed vertebrae, which left him paralysed.
Since the accident five months ago he has spent almost all his time in hospital, with recent trips out to the pub with friends from his ward at Stoke Mandeville Hospital in Buckinghamshire. But he made an emotional return home at the weekend.
You may also want to watch:
A smiling Lol, 32, was clearly delighted to be back in Ipswich. He said: "I came back on Friday night, but it was too late really to do anything. I went clothes shopping in Norwich on Saturday, which was really tiring but great fun.
"It was my first real taste of the world outside, and it was really strange.
- 1 Bin lorry driver ran over colleague's leg in Kesgrave
- 2 Woman 'alarmed and distressed' after verbal abuse in Ipswich
- 3 Drug dealer seen bragging in YouTube rap videos
- 4 Burglary at O2 store in Ipswich town centre
- 5 Man to be sentenced over 'dine and dash' spree
- 6 Man who controlled Ipswich drug line jailed for five years
- 7 Pair in court following suspected stolen dogs raid at West Meadows
- 8 New homes and dormitory block planned for Ipswich school site
- 9 Work to start on new Ipswich town centre retirement homes
- 10 Restraining order for venue boss who intimidated council leader's daughter
"I had to be looking round all the time, trying to dodge people's bags, and people looked down on me, like they do children.
"I stupidly asked for a disabled changing room in one shop and the shop assistant just looked at me then said they didn't have anything like that.
"I went out on Saturday night drinking and came back late, and today I've just been out with some friends.
"It's great to be back though, but it's been a tiring weekend and I'm going back to hospital later."
Lol together with his parents and 30 relatives and friends tucked in to a meal at Bekash Tandoori in Meredith Road on Sunday evening, shortly before Lol returned to Stoke Mandeville Hospital.
Lol's dad John, said it had been great for all his friends and family to see him back in town.
"He's been back two days and he's been with his pals all the time. He was out until late on Saturday and he's been very busy. He is tired but I think he's had a great time."