Delivery driver's attack ordeal
A FAST-food delivery driver today told of the frightening moment he was assaulted and robbed by a gang outside a block of flats in Ipswich.Three masked men and a woman, aged in their late teens or early 20s, attacked Hedi Omar as he dropped kebabs off in Patteson Road.
A FAST-food delivery driver today told of the frightening moment he was assaulted and robbed by a gang outside a block of flats in Ipswich.
Three masked men and a woman, aged in their late teens or early 20s, attacked Hedi Omar as he dropped kebabs off in Patteson Road.
The gang emerged from behind bins, using bottles to hit Mr Omar on the head and arms before stealing the food and running off.
The 22-year-old, who is originally from Kurdistan, said: “I was absolutely terrified.
“I have lived here for five years and nothing like this had ever happened before.
“The whole thing was obviously planned. A woman answered the door and then the men appeared and started hitting me.”
- 1 Omid Djalili cracks Ipswich joke at Queen's Platinum Jubilee show
- 2 Man found unconscious in Ipswich alleyway following serious assault
- 3 Ford Transit van destroyed in suspected arson attack
- 4 Striking new seafront café opens its doors to customers after two-year wait
- 5 Charity match held in memory of Tavis Spencer-Aitkens
- 6 OPINION: Back to business - these are the council's plans for Ipswich
- 7 Cricket club praises ambulance service after player collapses in the field
- 8 Brother of Ipswich murder victim to roll out bleed control kits across town
- 9 Travellers move on from Chantry Park in Ipswich
- 10 St Clement's Church ready for new life as an arts centre
Mr Omar, of Orwell Gardens, works as a delivery driver for Best Kebabs, based in Dog's Head Street.
But he admitted he had been left so shaken by the attack he was ready to quit his job.
The former factory workers said: “I have only been in the job for two or three months but I'm trying to leave and find something new.”
The attack took place at around 1.10am on Sunday morning.
The male members of the gang are all believed to be white, at least 5ft10ins and of slim build. They covered their faces with scarves.
The woman was white and of average build.
Those with information are asked to call Dc James Harper at Ipswich CID on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
Last year, police were called to deal with a handful of similar attacks on victims delivering food in Ipswich.
Have you been the victim of violence? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com