Did you see Elmo, Big Bird, Bert and Ernie in Sesame Street at the Ipswich Regent in 1993?
- Credit: Archant
Generations of children have grown up with Elmo, Big Bird and the Cookie Monster so imagine the delight for these children at seeing Sesame Street live on stage at The Ipswich Regent back in the 1990s.
The stars of Sesame Street performed a week-long run at the Ipswich theatre in March 1993, enetrtaining hundreds of pre-schoolers and their parents.
The young audiences sat in awe as their favourite TV characters, which was aired on Channel 4 at the time, danced and performed live on stage.
Sesame Street was first broadcast in 1969 using Jim Henson’s Muppets characters, plus a blend of animation.
It was shown in the UK until 2001 but was then off air for several years.
Sesame Street finally returned to UK television in November 2016 when it was picked up Cartoon Network UK’s sister pre-school channel, Cartoonito.
There have been 4,384 episodes to date.
- 1 School submits plan to turn site into 7 homes
- 2 Boy, 14, injured in altercation near Ipswich primary school
- 3 Severe delays on A14 outside Ipswich after vehicle sheds turf on road
- 4 Police concerned for welfare of missing 60-year-old Ipswich man
- 5 Victim bundled into car and hit with hammer, robbery and kidnap trial hears
- 6 Police hunting two men with Suffolk links after cannabis farm discovered
- 7 Man suffers fractured eye socket after attack outside Ipswich bus station
- 8 Former town council manager named as woman who died in A11 crash
- 9 Ipswich climber's death was a 'tragic and unexpected accident'
- 10 Aging gas main replacement works begin around Ipswich
Let us know if you were there or if you have any memorable moments from the Ipswich Regent in the 90s.
Get in contact at via email
•Have you liked our new Ipswich Remembers Facebook page? We are posting regular updates showing some of the thousands of nostalgic images found in our archives and we would love to see your old photos of the town.