Discover resort’s hidden gem
IT shames me to admit that after nearly 30 years living in Felixstowe, I have only just enjoyed one of its nicest attractions.
The putting green in Bath Road is truly a hidden gem – tucked away behind a high hedge, probably many people don’t even know it’s there.
Indeed, my neighbour was not aware when he stopped to give us a lift as we walked home. He is now planning to take his young son to play.
The 18-hole green – in the grounds of Felixstowe Lawn Tennis Club – has been there years.
I remember one of our Evening Star Felixstowe ad reps called Nick Coates, from up north, who used to nip off to have many a lunch-time round of putting, trying to beat his best score – always encouraging me to join in but I never had time.
You may also want to watch:
(He used to sing Meet Me in St Louis loudly in the office and endearingly used to pronounce Harwich, Har-witch.)
Despite being quite flat, the putting green is a delightful challenge – several deceptive changes in contours and different lengths, and some nasty boundary holes where the ball is likely to disappear into the trees if struck too firmly.
- 1 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 2 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 3 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 4 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 6 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 7 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 8 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 9 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 10 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
Family Cornwell have played twice this summer, popping our �2 each into the honesty box, and not seen another player.
We all bettered our scores on our second visit – eldest son Matthew and I both getting round in 49 – and even grandma Shirley, my mother, joined us with a respectable 67 after an uncertain start and I think she may be hooked, having never putted before.
It’s a real pleasure to play – go and take a look.