Discover resort’s hidden gem
IT shames me to admit that after nearly 30 years living in Felixstowe, I have only just enjoyed one of its nicest attractions.
The putting green in Bath Road is truly a hidden gem – tucked away behind a high hedge, probably many people don’t even know it’s there.
Indeed, my neighbour was not aware when he stopped to give us a lift as we walked home. He is now planning to take his young son to play.
The 18-hole green – in the grounds of Felixstowe Lawn Tennis Club – has been there years.
I remember one of our Evening Star Felixstowe ad reps called Nick Coates, from up north, who used to nip off to have many a lunch-time round of putting, trying to beat his best score – always encouraging me to join in but I never had time.
(He used to sing Meet Me in St Louis loudly in the office and endearingly used to pronounce Harwich, Har-witch.)
Despite being quite flat, the putting green is a delightful challenge – several deceptive changes in contours and different lengths, and some nasty boundary holes where the ball is likely to disappear into the trees if struck too firmly.
- 1 Firefighters called to Ipswich house fire
- 2 Man detained after early morning incident in Ipswich road
- 3 Baby and toddler retailer Mamas & Papas set for Ipswich return
- 4 Ipswich residents' frustration over parking chaos
- 5 Man who stole over £1,000 in power tools jailed for 876 days
- 6 Boy, 14, arrested after serious sex attack in Suffolk town is released
- 7 Woman injured after leg bitten by dog in Ipswich
- 8 'Severe' delays on A12 outside Ipswich after crash closes road
- 9 Some East of England Co-op stores unable to take cash
- 10 7 roadworks for drivers in Suffolk to be aware of this week
Family Cornwell have played twice this summer, popping our �2 each into the honesty box, and not seen another player.
We all bettered our scores on our second visit – eldest son Matthew and I both getting round in 49 – and even grandma Shirley, my mother, joined us with a respectable 67 after an uncertain start and I think she may be hooked, having never putted before.
It’s a real pleasure to play – go and take a look.