Do you remember when Crown Street in Ipswich looked like this?
PUBLISHED: 19:00 15 April 2017
Crown Street in September 1962. The building in the background was Egertons Garage. This is now the site occupied by Crown Pools. The Cricketers public house is on the right. Picture: DAIVD KINDRED
Whether it was for a quick pint in The Cricketers or after school detention at Tower Ramparts High School, Crown Street has paved the way to a lot of memories for Ipswich locals across the last 70 years.
The Temperance Hall was built in 1840, at the corner of Crown Street and High Street, by the Ipswich Temperance Movement and paid for by Ipswich Quaker banker Richard Dykes Alexander. It was demolished soon after this photograph was taken in 1963. Picture: JACK KEEN
The changing face of the street has seen schools, garages, pubs and swimming pools built and torn down to make way for new businesses and opportunities.
An Aerial picture of Crown Street, 1964. Picture: TONY RAY/ARCHANT
One of the town’s two main bus stations is now situated outside Sailmakers shopping centre, but Crown Street was once home to a thriving garage which employed over 200 people. Egertons was one of the most popular garages in town and proudly boasted a wide range of high end cars in the 1940s, 50s and 60s.
The car park at Tower Ramparts, Ipswich, in August 1956. Crown Street is on the right and Tower Ramparts School on the left. The towns bus station is now on the car park site. Picture: DAVID KINDRED
A pub - The Millers Arms - was demolished to make way for the garage. It was one of two pubs in Crown Street, alongside The Cricketers, which still stands today.
The junction of William Street and Crown Street in around 1930. All of the buildings in the right foreground were demolished to create a car park, now the towns bus station. Picture: DAVID KINDRED
The street once again has two drinking establishments, with The Robert Ransome adjacent to Sailmakers.
When television and radio personality Simon Dee came to Ipswich in March 1969, to open the new Tesco store in St Mathews Street, hundreds of fans blocked the junction with Crown Street to catch sight of him. Picture: DAIVD KINDRED
To share your memories of Crown Street, email our picture desk.
Crown Street, Ipswich, from near the junction with High Street, in around 1960. Buildings on the right were demolished in the 1970s and the road made into a dual carriageway. Picture: JACK KEEN
The Crown Street Congregational Church stood at the corner of High Street (right) and Crown Street between 1836 and 1975. It was demolished and the road widened. An office block now stands at this junction. This photograph was taken in September 1964. Picture: DAVID KINDRED
The Cricketers building is still there in Crown Street, Ipswich, but The Millers Arms is long gone. It closed in the summer of 1936. Picture: GUY MAYNARD, COLCHESTER AND IPSWICH MUSEUM SERVICE