Drunk man stole Ipswich police officer’s laptop while he dealt with celebrating Portugal fans

South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court

South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court - Credit: Archant

A drunken young man stole a laptop from a police car as an officer dealt with Portugal fans celebrating their team’s Euro 2016 final win, a court heard.

Radoslaw Filipski, of London Road, Ipswich, swiped the ‘Toughbook’ as supporters were spilling into the town’s Norwich Road following the extra time 1-0 victory over France on July 10.

However, the 22-year-old was soon found in a nearby kebab shop making a failed attempt to get the laptop to work.

Filipski pleaded guilty to theft when he appeared at South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court.

Prosecutor David Bryant said around 100 fans were blocking Norwich Road at around 10.35pm.

A police officer stopped his vehicle, which had its blue lights, in the road. He then tried to clear the carriageway.

While he was doing that Filipski took the Toughbook laptop, which was on the front passenger seat of the police vehicle.

Most Read

Filipski was pointed out by members of the public and officers went to Bodrum Kebab shop where he was.

Mr Bryant said Filipski had the laptop in his hand and appeared to be trying to find out how it worked.

He was arrested and told police it was meant to be a joke.

When interviewed Filipski said he had been to a barbecue at his brother’s that afternoon and had begun drinking vodka at around 3pm.

While on his way to the kebab shop he came across a group of people celebrating Portugal’s win.

He saw the laptop in the police car and took it because he was drunk.

Filipski said he then went to the kebab shop and ordered his food.

He apologised for his behaviour and said he did not know why he had done it.

Sue Threadkell, representing Filipski, who listened to proceedings through a Polish interpreter, said of her client: “He had too much to drink and acted on foolish impulse.”

The court was told he had been in work since arriving in the UK two years ago and was currently employed in a warehouse.

Magistrates fined Filipski £270 and ordered him to pay £85 costs, as well as £30 to the victims’ fund.