Search

Easter warning to pet owners

PUBLISHED: 09:28 15 April 2003 | UPDATED: 13:43 03 March 2010

CHOCOLATE is not only fattening but could be fatal – to pets.

This is the message from vets, who are warning animal lovers not to share Easter eggs with their four-legged friends.

CHOCOLATE is not only fattening but could be fatal – to pets.

This is the message from vets, who are warning animal lovers not to share Easter eggs with their four-legged friends.

Chocolate contains the chemical theobromine, which can poison pets.

There is enough theobromine in 100g of plain chocolate to kill a small dog like a Chihuahua, says vet's charity PDSA.

And dogs are most at risk as they "often help themselves to anything in paw's reach", vets warn.

Darker chocolate, including cocoa powder and cocoa shell garden mulch, is the most dangerous. White chocolate contains the smallest amount of the chemical.

But all chocolate is bad for animals' teeth and waistlines.

"Keep the tit-bits to a minimum to help keep your pet happy and healthy," the charity advises.

Owners are advised to go for 'doggy chocs' rather than 'human' chocolate if they want to give pets a treat at Easter.

Weblink: www.pdsa.org.uk


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star