Rooms from £9.99 at upcoming easyHotel in Ipswich
- Credit: SOPHIE BARNETT
A new “super-budget” hotel offering rooms as cheap as £9.99 a night is set to open at the former Groove nightclub in Ipswich town centre.
easyHotel has invested £4million in the Grade II listed building in Northgate Street, which was originally set to open in 2017 but is now expected to be ready in coming weeks.
The easyHotel sign was recently put up at the front of the property; however, work is still ongoing inside with builders converting the building into a 94-room hotel.
The building has a colourful past - it was used as a stationers shop, a toy shop and a car showroom before becoming a late-night venue.
As a nightclub it operated under several guises including Chicago Rock Cafe, Shout, Quilt and Mojo before its most recent regeneration as Groove.
You may also want to watch:
The company has already agreed a 999-year lease on part of the ground floor of the Ipswich property for use as a coffee outlet.
The branding of the new coffee shop has not been disclosed but two major chains each already have a presence nearby – Costa just opposite on the corner of Carr Street, and Caffe Nero on the corner of Upper Brook Street and Buttermarket.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 How developers hope to bring 'important' town centre building back to use
- 3 Hospital site at St Clement's in Ipswich transformed into homes
- 4 New axe-throwing bar with crazy golf and cocktails could be coming to Buttermarket
- 5 See the faces of the criminals who have been jailed in Suffolk this week
- 6 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
- 7 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 8 Fisons site owners seeking pre-application advice on fire-hit site
- 9 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 10 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
Guy Parsons, chief executive officer, said: “We are delighted to be investing in the vibrant cultural centre of Ipswich which is a gateway to the UK’s highly popular east coast. We expect to benefit from growing local business and tourism in the area as we extend our owned brand presence in the UK.”
Although the official opening date has not yet been announced, rooms are available to book on easyHotels website from Friday, January 18 onwards at a cost of just £9.99 a room.
Further details of the hotel’s opening will be announced in due course.