Rooms from £9.99 at upcoming easyHotel in Ipswich
- Credit: SOPHIE BARNETT
A new “super-budget” hotel offering rooms as cheap as £9.99 a night is set to open at the former Groove nightclub in Ipswich town centre.
easyHotel has invested £4million in the Grade II listed building in Northgate Street, which was originally set to open in 2017 but is now expected to be ready in coming weeks.
The easyHotel sign was recently put up at the front of the property; however, work is still ongoing inside with builders converting the building into a 94-room hotel.
The building has a colourful past - it was used as a stationers shop, a toy shop and a car showroom before becoming a late-night venue.
As a nightclub it operated under several guises including Chicago Rock Cafe, Shout, Quilt and Mojo before its most recent regeneration as Groove.
The company has already agreed a 999-year lease on part of the ground floor of the Ipswich property for use as a coffee outlet.
The branding of the new coffee shop has not been disclosed but two major chains each already have a presence nearby – Costa just opposite on the corner of Carr Street, and Caffe Nero on the corner of Upper Brook Street and Buttermarket.
- 1 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
- 2 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 3 Notcutts submit detailed plans for 14 homes on the edge of Ipswich
- 4 Double drink driver who killed Jennifer, 32, jailed six years and eight months
- 5 See inside £1.65m Ipswich home with swimming pool and games room
- 6 See inside stunning £1.15m home a stone's throw away from Christchurch Park
- 7 Crash involving ambulance closes Ipswich road
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Ipswich girl with cyst on brain struggling to get diagnosis
- 10 7 things around Ipswich which are among the best in the country
Guy Parsons, chief executive officer, said: “We are delighted to be investing in the vibrant cultural centre of Ipswich which is a gateway to the UK’s highly popular east coast. We expect to benefit from growing local business and tourism in the area as we extend our owned brand presence in the UK.”
Although the official opening date has not yet been announced, rooms are available to book on easyHotels website from Friday, January 18 onwards at a cost of just £9.99 a room.
Further details of the hotel’s opening will be announced in due course.