Edna is our first unsung hero
STEP forward choir conductor Edna Turner – the first winner in our search for Suffolk's Unsung Heroes.We're looking for the people who work to make life better in our area and they are exactly the qualities outlined by Edna's fans, who are members of the Senior Co-op Choir in Ipswich.
BY NICK RICHARDS
STEP forward choir conductor Edna Turner – the first winner in our search for Suffolk's Unsung Heroes.
We're looking for the people who work to make life better in our area and they are exactly the qualities outlined by Edna's fans, who are members of the senior Co-op choir in Ipswich.
You may also want to watch:
Choir sponsors Ipswich & Norwich Co-op, nominated her for the dedication she has shown throughout almost 50 years of playing music for singing and dancing classes.
Edna, of Nacton Road, was presented with a medal by Ipswich mayor, Richard Risebrow, in a surprise visit at a rehearsal of the choir.
- 1 Man caught in Ipswich park paedophile sting jailed for more than two years
- 2 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 3 Central Ipswich office tower could be converted into more than 100 flats
- 4 Ipswich lorry drivers raise a glass as haulage firm launches in-house watering hole
- 5 Ipswich teenage boy arrested over stabbing
- 6 Woman accused of fraudulently giving £75k to son while bankrupt
- 7 Dog mess thrown at Ipswich bakery staff in 'nasty' attack
- 8 Power cuts in Ipswich leave businesses closed
- 9 Should buses be kept out of Ipswich's Upper Brook Street?
- 10 'Large stones' thrown at lorry from A14 bridge near Ipswich
Edna, 81, began playing for the Co-op children's dance class at Sidegate Lane in 1954 and later played for the Holywells Ladies Choir.
Over the next four decades, Edna has been in big demand for all sorts of classes and musical events.
Edna said: "I was immensely surprised and delighted to be given the award – it probably won't sink in until I get home."
Proud husband Bill said, "She is like a mother to them all" while her friends pointed out her superb sense of humour and friendly nature.
Mayor Richard Risebrow was delighted with this first award. He said: "This epitomises what I wanted to achieve when I started this scheme. It has given great pleasure to meet not only Edna but to all the people here. It is a fine example of what the Unsung Heroes is all about. I therefore urge others to come forward with names of individuals or groups who deserve this award."
Every month there will be two heroes chosen – Mr Risebrow will pick someone from Ipswich and we'll chose someone from the wider area.
Nominations will be held on file so if the person you nominate this month doesn't win they go forward for consideration in future months.
n Send your nominations to Unsung Heroes Evening Star 30 Lower Brook Street Ipswich IP4 1AN or e mail firstname.lastname@example.org