End of an era as foundry closes
IT is the end of an era today as Ipswich engineering firm CompAir closed part of its business.The company yesterday ended production of castings causing the foundry at their Ranelagh Road factory to close.
IT is the end of an era today as Ipswich engineering firm CompAir closed part of its business.
The company yesterday ended production of castings causing the foundry at their Ranelagh Road factory to close.
This meant 48 members of staff lost their jobs but the "vast majority" have found new employment.
Despite the end of work at the foundry, it is not the end of CompAir as the company will still employ 140 people.
CompAir, initially known as CompAir Reavell, has been based in Ipswich since September 1898 and originally manufactured steam engines and compressors.
The business today describes itself on its website as "one of the world's leading compressed air and gas system manufacturers".
- 1 9 Ipswich restaurants we wish had never closed
- 2 Ipswich primary school closed for 'maintenance investigations'
- 3 Ipswich man jailed for three years for attempted robbery
- 4 New Ipswich council houses and microhomes win awards
- 5 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 6 Major milestone marked as Ipswich Hospital south entrance reopens
- 7 'Mum had the last Christmas she deserved' - Ipswich hospice helps families
- 8 Police seek driver who failed to stop at scene of crash
- 9 Judge reassures town centre is 'open for business' after robbery trial
- 10 Women uniting against violence in Ipswich
A spokesman said: "This is a strategic decision as part of our efforts to build a strong and competitive business by concentrating on the core manufacturing technologies associated with our products.
"While it is with regret that we have had to make these difficult local changes, we are operating in an increasingly cost-conscious market."
CompAir managing director Malcolm Blackwell said: "Despite the nature of this part of our business improvement programme the team in the foundry have responded magnificently during the run down programme.
"I am also pleased that we have helped the vast majority of the team to find new employment."
n What are your memories of the CompAir foundry? Write in to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or email email@example.com or visit the forum at www.eveningstar.co.uk