Days Gone By - Memories of Christchurch Park events over the decades
- Credit: Ivan Smith
From fetes to a mock battle, Christchurch Park has staged a huge number of events over the years, as our latest photo gallery shows.
We have put together a selection of photos from the 1970s, 80s and 90s.
The famous park has staged a host of events since it was opened in 1895, becoming the first public park in Suffolk’s county town.
Its mix of rolling lawns and woodland, surrounding Christchurch Mansion, provide a perfect backdrop for fetes and fairs, as well rallies by organisations like the Boys Brigade.
One unusual event was a re-enactment of the Battle of Hastings in 1985, where youngsters did battle with cardboard swords and shields.
You may also want to watch:
Of course, as well as being in demand over the summer, the park’s slopes are great place for sledding in winter.
What are your memories of visits to Christchurch Park? Email firstname.lastname@example.org To order copies of these photos, visit www.eadt.co.uk/myphotos24, or call Diane Townsend on 01603 772449.
- 1 Danger warning after seal pup rescued from fishing net by member of public
- 2 First phase of new 2,000 home site approved
- 3 £40,000 of cash and large amount of cocaine seized in Ipswich
- 4 Covid rips through Suffolk care homes again with deaths up 50% in a week
- 5 Pensioner 'could not help himself' viewing indecent images of children
- 6 Group fined for travelling more than 10 miles to get a takeaway in lockdown
- 7 Police continue to investigate stabbing of teenager
- 8 Former Ipswich nightclub to become Network Rail base
- 9 Large drop in coronavirus cases in Ipswich as county cases continue to fall
- 10 Ipswich Topshop closes for good as staff made redundant via conference call