Family tribute to 'angel' killed by train

A TWO-year-old boy has died today after being struck by a train on a level crossing in East Anglia.

THE family of a two-year-old boy who died after being hit by a train on a level crossing have spoken of their grief and paid tribute to their “little angel.”

Johnny Hall was hit by the 14.41 train from Lincoln to Peterborough while on a foot crossing next to a level crossing in Werrington, Cambridgeshire, yesterday.

Police are treating his death as “unexplained” as they try to piece together his final movements before the incident.

Johnny's aunt, Eileen Connors, said: “This was a tragic accident that took the life of a cherished and beloved little who boy who was full of life and loved by everyone who knew him.

“Grief is felt by every member of our family and friends. It is also acknowledged that this was a tragic accident, with Johnny's mum, his four-year-old brother and his uncle only feet away.

“No blame is to be placed, only deep sorrow. With all our heart we truly believe Johnny is now a little angel in heaven.”

Most Read

The British Transport Police, officers from Cambridgeshire Constabulary and the East of England Ambulance Service were called at 4.03pm yesterday.

The area was today sealed off as police examined the scene of the tragedy.

Officers are conducting a full investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident, including how the boy came to be on the crossing and are working closely with investigators from the Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB), who are also on scene.

The line runs between Lincoln and Peterborough and locals approach the crossing along a footpath.

Locals said many children used the crossing to get to a nearby school.

Superintendent Paul Brogden said: “While the investigation into this incident is still at an early stage, the early indications are that this appears to have been a tragic accident and our thoughts are with the boy's family at this time.

“Our thoughts also go out to the train driver, who has gone through a very difficult experience.”

Johnny's death happened at around the same time as another fatality on the lines - this time on the London underground, which caused minor disruptions to services in East Anglia.

The man, whose details are not known, was struck by a train on the central line at around 3.47pm. Police are not treating it as suspicious.

Underground services were delayed while officers investigated, causing hold-ups for some National Express East Anglia train drivers who were travelling to work on the tube.

Overland trains were allowed to pass through the station at Stratford, but were not able to stop as platform five was closed.

A number of services, including the 6.30pm Liverpool Street to Norwich and the 6.32pm Liverpool Street to Ipswich, were running 10 to 15 minutes late.

A spokesman for National Express East Anglia said: “It hasn't had a significant impact. Our most recent figures show that our performance is still running at 97% to 95per cent.”

Anyone with any information about the incident involving the Johnny's death is asked to contact British Transport Police on Freefone 0800 40 50 40.