Father's shock as fire rips through shed

A FATHER has today spoken of his disbelief after a fire ripped through his sheds, destroying dozens of personal possessions worth thousands of pounds.

A FATHER has today spoken of his disbelief after a fire ripped through his sheds, destroying dozens of personal possessions worth thousands of pounds.

Andrew Kennedy watched as an inferno engulfed the sheds in the back garden of his Eustace Road home in Ipswich, which contained items including his father's old tools, a fridge, freezer, microwave, and moped.

His 16-year-old son was in one of the sheds when the fire, thought to be caused by an electrical fault, broke out at about 3.25pm on Saturday.

Mr Kennedy said his son saw a flash and then the fire started, prompting him to run out and call the fire brigade.

The 47-year-old, who has lived at the house for more than 20 years, said: “My son was really shaken by it. He is gutted his moped is destroyed.

“Because the kitchen is so small, the sheds are used for storage so we have lost a fridge, freezer, tumble drier, microwave-everything.

Most Read

“The boys tried to put it out with a hose but it was no good. I want to thank the firefighters for their help because they spotted a gas cylinder in the shed and moved it. There was also fuel cans in there.”

Three jets were used to douse the blaze, which took 45 minutes to bring under control.

The flames could be seen from a few doors away and the whole drama of the incident attracted a crowd of neighbours to stand in the street and watch.

It is thought Mr Kennedy will be insured for most of the items, thought to be worth £5,000, but still faces the inconvenience of replacing the goods and knows he has lost some personal possessions that can never be recovered.

Mr Kennedy said: “I cannot believe it. I have got a lifetime in that shed. I cannot imagine if it had been worse.”