Fear as chimney exploded

A PENSIONER has today spoken of her terror when her chimney exploded while she sat reading in her living room.Edith Nunn, of Foxhall Road, Ipswich, had just turned the TV off last night when there was an enormous bang.

A PENSIONER has today spoken of her terror when her chimney exploded while she sat reading in her living room.

Edith Nunn, of Foxhall Road, Ipswich, had just turned the TV off last night when there was an enormous bang.

She said: "I thought the house had been hit by lightening.

"But then a load of dust came from the chimney breast so I called the fire brigade."

The explosion happened shortly after 10.30pm.

She said: "It was all very frightening and I am still shaking now."

Most Read

Miss Nunn had to spend the night at a neighbour's house after firefighters declared the house unsafe to spend the night in.

She added: "I don't know when I will be allowed to go back properly but I will pop back today just to see what damage has been done."

Firefighters spent an hour at the house and police closed Foxhall Road off briefly between Alan Road and Ruskin Road.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter