Felixstowe: Care home worker takes petition to 10 Downing Street
A care home worker from the town has handed in a petition at 10 Downing Street calling for a dedicated minister for older people.
Carl Martin, 26, who co-ordinates activities at the Firs Care Home in Grange Road, was among a group of people who yesterday handed in the petition, which has already attracted nearly 140,000 signatures across the country.
The cause, dubbed Grey Pride, was launched by care home provider Anchor and Mr Martin is keen to see the appointment of a dedicated minister who will champion the needs of older people.
He said: “Lots of cuts are happening during this time of austerity, and it’s important that older people’s views are heard when decisions are made about issues that affect them.
“We want a minister for older people with access to cabinet so that the voices of the elderly are taken into consideration when ministers make decisions on such issues as the winter fuel allowance, care funding and pensions.”
You may also want to watch:
The campaign has recieved widespread support from members of parliament and celebrities. Labour leader Ed Miliband, has even appointed Liz Kendall as shadow minister for care and older people.
Chief executive of Anchor, Jane Ashcroft, added: “As one of the largest and fastest growing parts of British society, it is a travesty that the issues that matter to older people are under-represented in government. We urgently need a dedicated minister who can take responsibility for joining up policies affecting older people.”
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 3 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 4 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 5 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 6 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 7 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
- 8 Watchdog upholds mother's complaint about handling of son's special education needs
- 9 Felixstowe to get £1million 'beach village' with new attractions
- 10 Two people rescued after search off Harwich coast
If you would like more information or if you would like to sign the petition, please visit www.greypride.org.uk.
What do you think of Grey Pride? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN.