Felixstowe chaos after crash
THERE was rush hour chaos in Felixstowe today after a three-vehicle collision blocked the Walton bypass.Candlet Road ground to a halt about 7.50am after a Nissan Micra, Volkswagen Polo and Mercedes crashed, blocking the out of town lane of the road.
THERE was rush hour chaos in Felixstowe today after a three-vehicle collision blocked the Walton bypass.
Candlet Road ground to a halt about 7.50am after a Nissan Micra, Volkswagen Polo and Mercedes crashed, blocking the out of town lane of the road.
Fire crews were dispatched to the scene after reports a person was trapped and smoke could be seen coming from one of the vehicles.
However, no one was injured in the collision and no casualties needed to be freed.
You may also want to watch:
Richard Cornwell, The Evening Star's Felixstowe editor, got stuck in the tailbacks.
He said: “The Walton bypass leads from the dockspur roundabout into Felixstowe and the traffic along there was seized up.
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 3 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 4 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 5 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 6 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
- 7 Cardinal Practice 'access issues' to be discussed at key NHS meeting
- 8 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 9 Two people rescued after search off Harwich coast
- 10 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
“Lots of drivers were doing U-turns in the middle of the road and going back to Felixstowe and heading out through the Trimleys.
“It also seemed that traffic was being diverted off the A14 through the Trimleys and the Trimleys seemed to be choked up as well.”
The problem was exacerbated by the closure of Felixstowe port earlier today because of high winds.
The docks reopened this morning but traffic was only being allowed in one gate up to about 8am today and lorries were queuing.