Felixstowe Coastguard Rescue Team launches latest recruitment drive
- Credit: Archant
The Felixstowe Coastguard Rescue Team has launched a volunteer recruitment drive for people wanting to help to keep the region’s coastline safe.
Coastguards respond to emergency 999 calls from the public for a range of incidents, including mud and water rescues, searches for missing persons, people cut off and stranded by the tide, ordinance and small craft in difficulties.
They work on a pager system and are on call 24-hours-a-day during their agreed shifts.
Don Ryles, station officer at Felixstowe, said: “On average, we have to attend 65 call-outs a year with 80% of those between May and September. With the busy period approaching, our recruitment is in full swing.
“It is a hugely rewarding role, a great way to give something back to the local community and provide a service which can save lives, whilst not having to give up your day job.
You may also want to watch:
“No qualifications or experience is needed, just a keenness to help out and enthusiasm to make a difference.”
Full training, clothing and equipment will be given to new recruits, however applicants should have an understanding of the coastline, a general level of fitness and be able to swim.
- 1 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 2 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 3 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 4 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 5 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 6 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 7 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 8 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
- 9 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 10 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
Anyone interested in joining the coastguard team should email email@example.com, including contact details and address.