Felixstowe: Drivers warned over danger outside schools in Maidstone Road after accident
POLICE are today urging drivers to take extra care in a street where a young girl was injured in an accident outside her school.
Officers were called to Maidstone Road, Felixstowe, after the 11-year-old was hit by a car as she left for home at the end of the school day at Orwell High School.
PC Anne-Marie Lynch and PC David Dyble directed traffic to keep the congested area moving smoothly, liaised with paramedics, spoke to witnesses and interviewed the car driver.
Later the officers visited the youngster in hospital, where she was treated for a foot injury.
“The girl was very shocked. The doctors felt her foot had been very bruised and they were sending her for an x-ray to see if there was any further damage,” said PC Lynch.
You may also want to watch:
Maistone Road – which has three schools within 200 yards, Orwell High, Maidstone Infants and Causton Junior – is extremely busy at school dropping off and picking up times.
Although there is traffic calming to slow the vehicles and a lollipop crossing warden – until the end of the school year – at Causton, cars are constantly pulling in and out of parking spaces and stopping to allow youngsters to get in and out.
- 1 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 2 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 3 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 4 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 5 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 6 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 7 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 8 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 9 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 10 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
“It is a particularly bad stretch of road and very busy at these two times and we would like to remind drivers to take great when driving past these three schools,” said PC Lynch.
“Youngsters will be crossing the road at various points as they come out of school and drivers need to be aware.”
The accident happened last Friday about 3pm.
? Should a lower speed limit be imposed and enforced on Maidstone Road, Felixstowe, outside the three schools? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN, or email firstname.lastname@example.org