Felixstowe: Drivers warned over danger outside schools in Maidstone Road after accident
POLICE are today urging drivers to take extra care in a street where a young girl was injured in an accident outside her school.
Officers were called to Maidstone Road, Felixstowe, after the 11-year-old was hit by a car as she left for home at the end of the school day at Orwell High School.
PC Anne-Marie Lynch and PC David Dyble directed traffic to keep the congested area moving smoothly, liaised with paramedics, spoke to witnesses and interviewed the car driver.
Later the officers visited the youngster in hospital, where she was treated for a foot injury.
“The girl was very shocked. The doctors felt her foot had been very bruised and they were sending her for an x-ray to see if there was any further damage,” said PC Lynch.
Maistone Road – which has three schools within 200 yards, Orwell High, Maidstone Infants and Causton Junior – is extremely busy at school dropping off and picking up times.
Although there is traffic calming to slow the vehicles and a lollipop crossing warden – until the end of the school year – at Causton, cars are constantly pulling in and out of parking spaces and stopping to allow youngsters to get in and out.
- 1 7 roadworks for drivers in Suffolk to be aware of this week
- 2 Man detained after early morning incident in Ipswich road
- 3 New 99-room Ipswich Travelodge expected to open next year
- 4 Firefighters called to Ipswich house fire
- 5 Baby and toddler retailer Mamas & Papas set for Ipswich return
- 6 Woman injured after leg bitten by dog in Ipswich
- 7 Ipswich girl with cyst on brain struggling to get diagnosis
- 8 Man dies after being found unresponsive in Sudbury river
- 9 See inside £1.65m Ipswich home with swimming pool and games room
- 10 'We're blown away' - Classic car show visits care home after roadworks setback
“It is a particularly bad stretch of road and very busy at these two times and we would like to remind drivers to take great when driving past these three schools,” said PC Lynch.
“Youngsters will be crossing the road at various points as they come out of school and drivers need to be aware.”
The accident happened last Friday about 3pm.
? Should a lower speed limit be imposed and enforced on Maidstone Road, Felixstowe, outside the three schools? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN, or email email@example.com