Felixstowe homes targeted in ploy by scammers pretending to be from BT
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Suffolk Trading Standards has reported a spate of scam calls in Felixstowe and Suffolk with people pretending to be from BT.
A Trading Standards spokesman said that homes receive a call from someone claiming to be from BT who demand money to be paid immediately over the phone or have their service cut off.
Trading Standards tweeted to say that on Thursday Felixstowe homes were being targeted, with more reported on Friday.
The spokesman said: “Our advice is to stop and take five minutes, never give out personal details to someone who has called out of the blue.
“Fraudsters will often try to rush you into making payments, but it’s your call.
You may also want to watch:
“If you’re in doubt, hang up the call, wait 10 minutes and contact the company from a number that you have located yourself, not from a number that has been given to you during the course of the phone call.
“You can also contact Trading Standards via the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06.”
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 4 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 5 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 6 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 7 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 8 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 9 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 10 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion