Felixstowe: Olympic golden boy to carry torch at resort
GOLD medal winner Adrian Moorhouse will be one of the torchbearers running through Felixstowe when the Olympic roadshow rolls into town tomorrow
Winner of the 100m breaststroke in the 1988 Seoul Olympics, the former swimming champion will be carrying the torch on part of the leg down the town’s Orwell Road.
Mr Moorhouse, 48, of Maidenhead, was world number one for six consecutive years in the 1980s.
He will join eight others in carrying the torch through the seaside town – it is due to arrive at the resort around 4.35pm.
Mr Moorhouse will hand over his torch to 12-year-old Kathryn Shailer, who was announced yesterday as Felixstowe’s ninth torchbearer – a last minute replacement for David Miller, who decided not to take part.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Miller, 70, the official historian of the Olympics and author of a number of books including the guide published every four years, said he felt the honour should go to someone younger.
“Youth and energy are not something I boast these days and I felt it should be carried by someone younger, so I assigned my place to the City of Norwich School and Kathryn was chosen to take my place,” said Mr Miller, who lives in Norfolk.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 4 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 5 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 6 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 7 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 8 Man caused £26k worth of damage after setting fire to van and car
- 9 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 10 'It's like we're in the stone age' - Homophobic abuse halts LGBT+ parties
He is buying the torch and plans to auction it to raise money for the Starlight charity which arranges for terminally ill children to realise their dreams.
The other torchbearers for Felixstowe are: David Wardle, 72, Ipswich; John Beer, 64, Kirton; Matthew Miller, 12, Suffolk; Miranda Rayner, 44, Walton-on-the-Naze; Shaun Andrews, 40, Ipswich; and Tom Baty, 28, Ely.
? See our Olympic Torch section for more news.