Felixstowe plot holders hit by raiders
ALLOTMENT holders in Felixstowe are furious after having seen their prized plots targeted by criminals for the second time in four months.More than a dozen sheds on the town council-owned Cowpasture site on the edge of the town were broken into by thieves who stole strimmers, power tools and a cultivator machine.
FELIXSTOWE: Allotment holders in Felixstowe are furious after having seen their prized plots targeted by criminals for the second time in four months.
More than a dozen sheds on the town council-owned Cowpasture site on the edge of the town were broken into by thieves who stole strimmers, power tools and a cultivator machine.
Police said the raids happened between 5pm on Friday and 8am Saturday and are appealing for witnesses who may have seen a vehicle leaving the site off the Candlet Road-Grove Road roundabout, or anyone who has been offered tools.
Back in September, vandals ran riot through the plots causing a trail of damage with more than 20 incidents of destruction - destroying a shed, torching a rotavator, throwing a lawnmower into a greenhouse, breaking into sheds, smashing windows, and ripping out crops.
Christopher Leffler, secretary of Felixstowe and District Allotment Association, said the latest thefts were “a serious, organised attack”.
He added: “It looks like a professional job - bolt croppers were used to cut the locks. It seems they knew what they were after - strimmers and other similar tools which they could carry away easily.
- 1 Boy, 14, injured in altercation near Ipswich primary school
- 2 School submits plan to turn site into 7 homes
- 3 Evicted Suffolk family to move into £6,000 double-decker bus bought on eBay
- 4 Staff shortages hit 98% of firms, including Suffolk hotels and restaurants
- 5 Missing Ipswich man found safe
- 6 Emergency services attending incident in Suffolk town
- 7 Police hunting two men with Suffolk links after cannabis farm discovered
- 8 Severe delays on A14 outside Ipswich after vehicle sheds turf on road
- 9 Ipswich entrepreneur to appear on ITV show
- 10 Body of woman found in river in Hadleigh
“I would urge all allotment holders on Cowpasture to check their sheds and report anything missing to the police.”
A police spokeswoman said power tools, including at least five petrol-driven strimmers had been taken, and also a red cultivator.
“We would like to hear from anyone who saw any suspicious activity in the area, a vehicle leaving the site, or who has been offered strimmers or other tools since the weekend,” she said.
People should contact Pc Peter Stewart at Felixstowe on 01473 613500.
What do you think of the thieves? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org