Felixstowe: Poker club gets ready for ace event
- Credit: Archant
Poker players are preparing for their biggest tournament yet – the first major open event their club has staged.
Officials at Felixstowe Poker Club say 100 players will take part in the event over the weekend of June 29 and 30.
The card game is growing in popularity across the country, and the club – which meets at Felixstowe Conservative Club on Friday evenings – has gone from strength to strength in the past three years.
It has also affiliated to a national league and in the past 12 months has won a trophy for being the best performing venue and players have reached the final table.
Chairman Kevin Cockerill said: “Felixstowe Conservative Club is celebrating 100 years and we thought it would be a good idea to have a 100-player tournament as part of the centenary events.
“It will be the first open event we have held in Felixstowe and the biggest held so far in the area. Players will come not only from the town but across the county and even further afield.
“If it is a success we would be looking to make it an annual event with the aim to make it bigger and bigger each year. We want to make our town the place for a quality, friendly game of poker.”
- 1 School submits plan to turn site into 7 homes
- 2 Boy, 14, injured in altercation near Ipswich primary school
- 3 Severe delays on A14 outside Ipswich after vehicle sheds turf on road
- 4 Missing Ipswich man found safe
- 5 Police hunting two men with Suffolk links after cannabis farm discovered
- 6 Staff shortages hit 98% of firms, including Suffolk hotels and restaurants
- 7 Emergency services attending incident in Suffolk town
- 8 Aging gas main replacement works begin around Ipswich
- 9 Victim bundled into car and hit with hammer, robbery and kidnap trial hears
- 10 Ipswich teen accused of brandishing machete tells court it was a plastic toy
There is a £30 buy-in (£25 for the pot and £5 for the club) registration for the game, which will also feature a £25 “reload”, a period when additional chips can be bought, and an expected pot of around £3,000.
The main event will run over both days and the second day will also feature other poker games, as well a live band and barbecue.
The club has around 70 players and welcomes new people to join and get to know the game.
People are invited to go along to any club night from 7.30pm to find out more.
To register for the open event, or for more details, people should visit www.felixstowepokerclub.co.uk or call 07503 116600 or 07742 954190.