Felixstowe: Save Our Fire Crew petition nears 1,000-name mark
FELIXSTOWE: Signatures are rolling in to support the Evening Star’s campaign to save the resort’s full-time fire crew from the chop, as the petition nears the 1,000 mark.
Residents across the Felixstowe peninsula and beyond are furious about Suffolk County Council proposals to axe the resort’s permanent fire cover, meaning the loss of 14 firefighters, in a bid to save �210,000 from its ever-tightening budget.
But campaigners say this would leave the town – filled with hotels, homes for the elderly, seaside attractions and the biggest container port in Britain – at risk as people wait for retained firefighters to assemble or a permanent crew to travel in from Ipswich.
The council is embarking on a public consultation exercise later this month, and says cuts are needed across the board because of more stringent budgets being imposed by Whitehall.
But town barber Jim Adams said it was “ludicrous” that day-time fire crews could be axed.
“Having a crew there during the day is essential – they are able to respond so quickly to anything that happens,” he said.
“We cannot afford to lose a service like that. This is a busy, thriving town and we need to be assured as businesses or residents that we will get the fastest response possible.
- 1 Most desirable places to live in Ipswich according to estate agents
- 2 Plans for 440 homes and visitor centre in Ipswich Garden Suburb submitted
- 3 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals locked up so far in 2022
- 4 Suffolk rail services affected after person hit by a train
- 5 OPINION: Free sporting activities for children return to Ipswich this summer
- 6 Woman 'froze' after seeing masked men with machetes in Ipswich
- 7 Ipswich Music Day 2022: All you need to know
- 8 Woman who stole £24k from school and football club to face sentence
- 9 Designer handbag stolen after car window smashed in Ipswich
- 10 Man suffers fractured eye socket after attack outside Ipswich bus station
“The council should look elsewhere for its cuts and I would urge everyone to sign this petition.”
Shops and businesses across the resort are queuing up to keep copies of the petition at their counters and offices to attract as much support as possible.
And concerned residents are pledging their support for the campaign in their droves, whether by signing the petition in person, returning one of the printed forms or lending their backing online.
Our Facebook group, Save Felixstowe’s Full Time Firemen, has also attracted a massive following with more than 300 members having signed up to the cause.
n What do you think of the proposed cuts? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN, or email email@example.com.