Felixstowe suffers more power cuts
ELECTRICITY supplies in the Felixstowe area were today back to normal after another day of power cuts.Supplies were disrupted in the twin Trimley villages more than a dozen times yesterday - each time the electricity going off for a few minutes.
By Richard Cornwell
ELECTRICITY supplies in the Felixstowe area were today back to normal after another day of power cuts.
Supplies were disrupted in the twin Trimley villages more than a dozen times yesterday - each time the electricity going off for a few minutes.
Felixstowe also suffered a tea-time power-cut, again just a few minutes.
There is growing concern that the supply network for the area cannot cope, and worries about what will happen if 2,700 more homes are built in the area.
Felixstowe Town Council asked questions of network company EDF last month following three days of power cuts in December.
- 1 Thousands of cigarettes seized after HMRC officers raid Ipswich stores
- 2 New store opens in California fulfilling owner's dream
- 3 Gambling addict stole £25k from elderly woman she befriended
- 4 Pensioner who was racially abusive has jail sentence cut
- 5 Ipswich man charged with string of motoring offences
- 6 Online shoppers head to Ipswich for big brands like Primark
- 7 County lines dealer jailed for six years for drug offences in Ipswich
- 8 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 9 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 10 Could American fast food chain Wendy's open a Suffolk restaurant next year?
But EDF has so far not responded to the council.
One Trimley St Martin resident said: “The power was on and off all day - sometimes for just a few minutes and other times for a little while.
“It is so annoying. No-one ever seems to be able to tell you what is happening.
“We just went round and reset all our appliances and the timers and then it went off again, so we had to reset them all over again - in the end we gave up.”
A spokeswoman for EDF Energy said power supplies were interrupted to several thousand customers in the Felixstowe and Trimley areas at 5.16pm yesterday, following a fault on the underground electricity network caused by a damaged piece of electrical equipment. The majority of customers had power restored within ten minutes and all but three customers were back on supply by 9.13pm. All customers were restored by midnight.