Tesco security guard allegedly attacked by group of 10 during fight outside Ipswich store
- Credit: Archant
A group of 10 people were reported to have surrounded an Ipswich store security guard last night, “kicking and punching him” after a fight broke out over a suspected shoplifting incident.
Suffolk police were called to reports of a fight at the Tesco Express store in St Matthew’s Street at 7.50pm.
A force spokesman said it appeared the security guard had attempted to apprehend a suspected shoplifter but was then attacked by a group of his friends.
“It is alleged 10 people were surrounding the guard, kicking and punching him outside the shop,” the spokesman added.
Police are reported to have arrived within two minutes. Members of the public are also said to have stepped into help the guard.
The disturbance continued outside the store, prompting staff to close early.
One of the officers on the scene reported the incident was “expected to keep bubbling away for sometime”.
- 1 Woman injured after car flips on its roof near Ipswich
- 2 Developer criticised for 'failing to meet obligations'
- 3 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
- 4 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 5 WATCH: Adorable family of foxes enjoy play time at an Ipswich doorstep
- 6 'We are both in love' - Ed Sheeran announces birth of second daughter
- 7 Mother who befriended son's killer discusses his new book
- 8 Friends raise money for garden for terminally ill Suffolk mum
- 9 Jail for man who drove stolen car at police officers
- 10 Revealed: The wealthiest people in East Anglia on the Sunday Times Rich List
A 25-year-old man has been detained on suspicion of assault.
Police officers were wearing body cameras during the incident, footage from which will be viewed for evidence.