Tesco security guard allegedly attacked by group of 10 during fight outside Ipswich store
- Credit: Archant
A group of 10 people were reported to have surrounded an Ipswich store security guard last night, “kicking and punching him” after a fight broke out over a suspected shoplifting incident.
Suffolk police were called to reports of a fight at the Tesco Express store in St Matthew’s Street at 7.50pm.
A force spokesman said it appeared the security guard had attempted to apprehend a suspected shoplifter but was then attacked by a group of his friends.
“It is alleged 10 people were surrounding the guard, kicking and punching him outside the shop,” the spokesman added.
Police are reported to have arrived within two minutes. Members of the public are also said to have stepped into help the guard.
You may also want to watch:
The disturbance continued outside the store, prompting staff to close early.
One of the officers on the scene reported the incident was “expected to keep bubbling away for sometime”.
- 1 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 2 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 3 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 4 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 5 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 6 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 7 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 8 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
- 9 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 10 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
A 25-year-old man has been detained on suspicion of assault.
Police officers were wearing body cameras during the incident, footage from which will be viewed for evidence.