Fire breaks out at Suffolk pub
VIDEO Firefighters have tackled a major fire at a pub in Kesgrave.
FIREFIGHTERS were tonight called to a large blaze in an historic pub which was packed with customers.
More than six fire engines attended The Farmhouse in Kesgrave shortly after 7pm following reports of a fire in the kitchen and dining area. It is believed the landlord was not at the pub and was due to be flying to Australia at some point this evening.
Gordon Potter, 53, from Kesgrave, was in the pub when it was evacuated. He said: “We were just sitting there having dinner by the kitchen and then this smoke just appeared and you could not see into the kitchen. The chef came running out and everybody had to evacuate to the car park.
“There was lots of smoke and then all of a sudden it started coming through the roof and the pigeon loft bit fell through the roof and the flames just rushed out.
Sue Bell, who was also sat in the pub, added: “We went to the till to order some food when we were told to go outside. We looked in the kitchen and it looked like a grill fire so we all went outside and it just got worse and worse. It was absolutely packed and some people where half way through their meals.
“It is devastating.”
- 1 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 2 'Despicable racism' condemned after letter in post
- 3 Ipswich bricklayer dragged wife out of car before kicking and punching her
- 4 'It's what I know and love': Former lorry driver opens food truck on A12
- 5 Fire crews called to fire on flat balcony in busy Ipswich road
- 6 Ipswich man appears in court charged with child sex offences
- 7 Peugeot stolen from Ipswich pub car park
- 8 School in Ipswich 'proud' of good Ofsted report
- 9 Delays on A14 after Orwell Bridge incident
- 10 Homeless man allegedly stabbed man who offered help
Fire crews used hose reel jets and breathing apparatus to extinguish the blaze as well as a thermal imaging camera.
Divisional officer Phil Embury said it was a serious incident when crews arrived: “We were called to a fire in the kitchen area and by the time we arrived it was quite well developed in the kitchen area and roof above the dining area. The crews worked very hard to stop it spreading into the main part of the public house and the living accommodation.”
An investigation into the fire will take place. The fire service said there was extensive damage to the kitchen area. The incident was over at 8.44pm.