Fire crews tackle barn blaze
FIREFIGHTERS are tackling a large fire in a barn containing 50 tonnes of straw.
FIREFIGHTERS are tackling a large fire in a barn containing up to 100 tonnes of straw and 400 tonnes of grain.
Emergency services were called to Blacksmiths Lane, Thorpe Morieux, at just before 7pm tonight where the 75m by 25m steel and brick building was alight.
Fire crews from Elmswell, Hadleigh, Sudbury, Melford and Stowmarket were at the scene as well as a turntable ladder from Bury St Edmunds.
A water carrier from Sudbury was also at the scene and a pump was being used to draw water from a nearby reservoir.
Fire crews were dousing the flames with water while also removing grain through a dismantled wall to prevent it from catching light.
- 1 Long delays on A14 near Ipswich after police called to hole in the road
- 2 Mercedes and Vauxhall flip over after crash in busy Ipswich road
- 3 Ipswich residents' frustration over parking chaos
- 4 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
- 5 Warehousing units take shape at Ipswich as demand rockets
- 6 Girl, 15, followed by man while walking dog in village near Ipswich
- 7 Tributes to Ipswich's 'Mr Buses'
- 8 'Severe' delays on A12 outside Ipswich after crash closes road
- 9 Calls to crush and seize cars to tackle ongoing anti-social behaviour
- 10 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in Ipswich
Mechanical equipment was also being used to remove some of the burning straw and put it out as it was removed.
The flames were spotted by nearby residents who called 999 while also beginning to tackle the fire using hoses.
An investigation will be held in the cause of the blaze which is currently being treated as suspicious.