Fire crews tackle barn blaze
FIREFIGHTERS are tackling a large fire in a barn containing 50 tonnes of straw.
FIREFIGHTERS are tackling a large fire in a barn containing up to 100 tonnes of straw and 400 tonnes of grain.
Emergency services were called to Blacksmiths Lane, Thorpe Morieux, at just before 7pm tonight where the 75m by 25m steel and brick building was alight.
Fire crews from Elmswell, Hadleigh, Sudbury, Melford and Stowmarket were at the scene as well as a turntable ladder from Bury St Edmunds.
You may also want to watch:
A water carrier from Sudbury was also at the scene and a pump was being used to draw water from a nearby reservoir.
Fire crews were dousing the flames with water while also removing grain through a dismantled wall to prevent it from catching light.
- 1 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 2 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 3 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 4 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 5 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 6 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
- 7 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 8 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 9 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 10 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
Mechanical equipment was also being used to remove some of the burning straw and put it out as it was removed.
The flames were spotted by nearby residents who called 999 while also beginning to tackle the fire using hoses.
An investigation will be held in the cause of the blaze which is currently being treated as suspicious.