Fire breaks out at docks - causing fears of explosion
- Credit: Charlotte Bond
A freight train container has caught fire at Felixstowe Docks - raising fears an adjacent container with potentially flammable materials could catch fire and explode.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service were called at 9.20am this morning to reports of a freight train container being on fire.
Five vehicles attended the scene and crews worked to extinguish the fire from a 20ft rolling stock container, which was emanating heat and smoke.
The container adjacent to the fire was 40ft and contained potentially flammable materials which could combust so crews worked to move it further away to make it safe.
Eventually they isolated the container which was emanating smoke and heat and it has been moved to a secure location on the docks by the Felixstowe Docks crew where it is away from the flammable materials.
Two fire engines remain on the scene as of 11.38am to finish extinguishing the fire.
- 1 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 2 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 3 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 4 Ipswich homes left without electricity after power cut
- 5 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 6 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 7 Festive shoppers brave the cold for Christmas street market in Ipswich
- 8 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 9 Care home worker may be jailed after using resident's bank card
- 10 Felixstowe Christmas light switch on outshines dreary weather