Fire breaks out at docks - causing fears of explosion
- Credit: Charlotte Bond
A freight train container has caught fire at Felixstowe Docks - raising fears an adjacent container with potentially flammable materials could catch fire and explode.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service were called at 9.20am this morning to reports of a freight train container being on fire.
Five vehicles attended the scene and crews worked to extinguish the fire from a 20ft rolling stock container, which was emanating heat and smoke.
The container adjacent to the fire was 40ft and contained potentially flammable materials which could combust so crews worked to move it further away to make it safe.
Eventually they isolated the container which was emanating smoke and heat and it has been moved to a secure location on the docks by the Felixstowe Docks crew where it is away from the flammable materials.
You may also want to watch:
Two fire engines remain on the scene as of 11.38am to finish extinguishing the fire.
- 1 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 2 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 3 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 4 Major delays on A12 after five vehicle crash
- 5 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 6 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 7 Ipswich market moves as work starts on Botanist restaurant
- 8 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 9 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 10 HSBC announces temporary closure of Ipswich branch