Fire leaves Essex family homeless

AN ESSEX family of five was homeless today after fire broke out in a cottage this morning.

AN ESSEX family of five was homeless today after fire broke out in a cottage this morning.

Firefighters were called after smoke was seen coming from a bedroom at the property at 6.50am Flag Hill, Great Bentley.

Three adults and two children, aged 4 and 6, were out of the house by the time crews from Weeley and Brightlingsea arrived, but had to be treated for the affects of smoke inhalation by the ambulance service.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used one hose reel to tackle the fire, which broke out in the lounge.

The incident was out within half-an-hour but the Weeley crew remained on the scene cutting away parts of the house to ensure the fire was fully out, as well as turning over and damping down.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter