Fire spotter's own home in flames
FIREFIGHTERS were praised today after saving a 15th century Suffolk farm cottage from ruin after sparks from a wood burner set a chimney ablaze.Homeowner Fred Pratt, 74, was working in neighbouring Whatfield when he spotted, thick black smoke clouding the sky – but little did he realise that the emergency was at his own home.
By Tina Heath
FIREFIGHTERS were praised today after saving a 15th century Suffolk farm cottage from ruin after sparks from a wood burner set a chimney ablaze.
Homeowner Fred Pratt, 74, was working in neighbouring Whatfield when he spotted, thick black smoke clouding the sky – but little did he realise that the emergency was at his own home.
So it was up to a Good Samaritan neighbour to warn wife Joan, 69, that their house was on fire.
The couple heaped praise on firefighters following the blaze at their wood-timbered home in Naughton, near Hadleigh.
"I was on my way back when my wife called. I had seen a lot of black smoke but I didn't realise it was my house on fire," said Mr Pratt.
- 1 Look inside stunning £950k home close to Christchurch Park in Ipswich
- 2 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 3 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 4 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 5 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 6 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 7 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 8 Drug dealer found with cannabis, 133 tablets and cash jailed
- 9 Did you know these 10 pubs were open in Ipswich?
- 10 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
"The firemen did a marvellous job. As they knocked the burning embers down the chimney there was a man with a bucket collecting it up and taking it outside. The only damage we got was a hole half way up the chimney on the outside."
Mrs Pratt told how a neighbour alerted her to the blaze shortly after 2.30pm yesterday.
"I was here but I didn't realise there was a fire. A neighbour and a friend came round and told me.
"I didn't panic when I saw it, although I was the only one here," said Mrs Pratt, who together with her husband owns arable farms in Whatfield, Nedging and Naughton.
Retained firefighters from Hadleigh and a crew from Princes Street station in Ipswich spent more than two hours at the scene.
A thermal imaging camera was used to locate the blaze deep within the chimney and a turntable ladder was brought in to give firefighters a platform to work from.
Officer in charge, ADO Gary Clark, confirmed that the blaze had been started by sparks from the wood burner setting fire to tar-like material which had built up inside the chimney.
The four bedroom cottage, off the B1078, sustained smoke damage to the first floor and loft.