Firefighters tackle blaze at terraced house in Robin Drive in Ipswich
Fire crews have tackled a house fire in Robin Drive in Ipswich today.
They were called today at 10.37am to the fire in an airing cupboard on the ground floor of a terraced home.
Four crews attended the scene of the fire, two from Ipswich East and two from Princes Street, all of them equipped with breathing apparatus.
A spokesman for the fire service said as there was some burning coming from the gas supply, crews waited for it to be isolated before taking on the fire.
He said: “There is a fire in the space of an airing cupboard on the ground floor.
“I think they are worried because it is a terraced house and they are concerned it could affect neighbouring properties.
“They need to isolate the gas first so we can do the job safely.
- 1 Man found unconscious in Ipswich alleyway following serious assault
- 2 Omid Djalili cracks Ipswich joke at Queen's Platinum Jubilee show
- 3 Brother of Ipswich murder victim to roll out bleed control kits across town
- 4 Striking new seafront café opens its doors to customers after two-year wait
- 5 Charity match held in memory of Tavis Spencer-Aitkens
- 6 Suffolk woman and her three dogs die in London crash
- 7 Ford Transit van destroyed in suspected arson attack
- 8 Meet John Cook the next mayor of Ipswich – and a Norwich City supporter
- 9 OPINION: Back to business - these are the council's plans for Ipswich
- 10 £1million house with extensive grounds up for sale near Christchurch Park
“The fire team are just allowing the gas to burn until National Grid arrive.”
He said crews called a stop on the incident at around 12.15pm after using dry powder extinguishers to put out the flames.
Police officers were also on the scene to support the crews and make sure people are safe and out of the way.
A spokesman for National Grid said the fire had damaged a gas service pipe in the property and that engineers were going to replace it.
“We were called to a property in Robin Drive, Ipswich shortly before 11am on Monday April 3,” he said. “Our engineers were on site shortly after 11am.
“A fire at the property had damaged a gas service pipe.
“We isolated the gas supply to the property and neighbouring properties.
“The gas service pipe is being replaced.”
He added: “If people think they can smell gas they should call 0800 111 999.”