Firefighters tackle chemical leak

AROUND 60 firefighters were called to Amtec International in Windam Road, Chilton Industrial Estate, Sudbury, today to deal with a chemical leak.The incident occurred after Xylenol overheated causing drums to decompose.

AROUND 60 firefighters were called to Amtec International in Windam Road, Chilton Industrial Estate, Sudbury, today to deal with a chemical leak.

The incident occurred after Xylenol overheated causing drums to decompose.

Although the fumes were contained on site, police took the precaution of warning residents to stay in their homes, keeping their windows and doors shut.

A chemical expert was at the site providing advice to firefighters following the leak, which occurred shortly after 10.30am.

No injuries have been reported.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter