Flats blaze leaves families homeless
AN Ipswich family told how they fled for their lives as fire tore through a block of flats.Today, fire investigators were due to pick through the wreckage that was once a home.
AN Ipswich family told how they fled for their lives as fire tore through a block of flats.
Today, fire investigators were due to pick through the wreckage that was once a home.
The fierce blaze left another 11 families homeless.
Homes were evacuated after a fire ripped through the block of flats in Downside Close, Ipswich.
You may also want to watch:
Two homes were completely destroyed in the blaze which started soon after 7 pm last night.
The blaze began in a third-floor flat and spread quickly to its neighbouring apartment through the roof space as more than 30 firefighters fought back the flames.
- 1 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 4 Jailed in Suffolk: See the three men locked up this week
- 5 Kesgrave Kitchen praised by local MP after 'fantastic' transformation
- 6 Man to face trial over claims he sexually assaulted toddler in the street
- 7 Meet the Ipswich teenage singer who gave £17.5k away to charity
- 8 Man accused of burgling GP surgeries and pharmacy appears in court
- 9 Stroke survivor cut off from family in lockdown returns home
- 10 Duo jailed after 63 bags of cocaine found in hotel room
During the fire, neighbours reported hearing two loud explosions, flames shooting into the sky and thick black smoke filling the cul-de-sac.
Graham Baker, 47, told how he managed to escape the blaze with his wife and 15-year-old daughter, but was today facing up to losing his home of 19 years.
"My wife lost her mother this year so we have lost all the photos of my wife's mother and all her little possessions.
"I didn't think about grabbing anything, we just got out of there. Now we have lost everything."
"But the most important thing is nobody got hurt."
On his last shift before retiring, firefighter Eddie Barber discovered the family's cat Kizzy, who escaped the blaze by hiding in the kitchen.
Mr Baker described how discovered the beginnings of the inferno.
"The fire started next door. My wife smelt smoke and I went round to the balcony and had a look," he said.
"I tried to fight it with a fire extinguisher but I really didn't stand much of a chance, so we ran down the stairs and got out. I managed to get one of our cats out but I couldn't find the other one."
He rescued his neighbour's pet springer spaniel, Tyler, when he realised his neighbour Richard and Claire Allum were not at home.
"There was smoke and flames on the carpet I couldn't get in. It was so hot I could only stand in the doorway on the balcony. I managed to get the dog out. I just hoped that no one was in the flat."
Unemployed Mr Allum, 43, one of the occupants of the other gutted flat, was in total shock today.
He said: "We've lost everything. We've got nowhere to live. We had only just kitted out the flat and everything was new. All I have is only the clothes I stand up in. I stayed at a friend's last night but we can't stay there tonight there's no room."
Fortunately no-one was hurt in the blaze.
Residents of the 12 flats were placed in temporary accommodation last night.
Sanctuary Housing Association, which owns the block of flats and Ipswich Borough Council had made arrangements to house the residents.
Last night as the fire raged, six fire engines squeezed into the close and residents spilled out on to the road and pavement to watch the action.
The Salvation Army and the Red Cross were called to the scene to offer counselling to the families left homeless.
One crew from Elmswell were at the scene early today to prevent any residents going back into their homes.
Leading firefighter Andy Rose said: "It was a severe fire in a residential area. It is always heartbreaking when something like this happens.
"Two flats were totally devastated and four flats in the block were water damaged."
He added the cause was unknown but a fire service investigation was due to begin today while the area was cordoned off.