Former Spiegeltent headliner makes chart-topping single.
A headlining act which performed at the Spiegeltent in Christchurch Park during the Ip-art festival has had a single hit No.1 in the UK music charts.
Sam and the Womp climbed the ladder to number one this week with their song Bom Bom.
The British based eight-piece music group, who formed in 2009, mix traditional Balkan music and Jamaican ska with modern electronic and dance themes.
Bom Bom has been played heavily on the airwaves in recent weeks.
The catchy tune was released on iTunes on August 19 and is now establishing itself as one of the hit songs of summer 2012.
You may also want to watch:
Culture portfolio-holder for the borough council, Bryony Rudkin, said she was proud Sam and the Womp played in the town earlier this summer.
“Ipswich not only hosts the big stars of today, like JLS, but it is proving to be ideal for unearthing the stars of tomorrow,
- 1 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 2 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 Semi-pro footballer ready to kickstart Football Fun Factory in Ipswich
- 5 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 6 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 7 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 8 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 9 Ipswich woman's drug dealing confiscation hearing adjourned
- 10 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
“Now we offer our congratulations to Sam and the Womp,” she said.