Former Spiegeltent headliner makes chart-topping single.
A headlining act which performed at the Spiegeltent in Christchurch Park during the Ip-art festival has had a single hit No.1 in the UK music charts.
Sam and the Womp climbed the ladder to number one this week with their song Bom Bom.
The British based eight-piece music group, who formed in 2009, mix traditional Balkan music and Jamaican ska with modern electronic and dance themes.
Bom Bom has been played heavily on the airwaves in recent weeks.
The catchy tune was released on iTunes on August 19 and is now establishing itself as one of the hit songs of summer 2012.
Culture portfolio-holder for the borough council, Bryony Rudkin, said she was proud Sam and the Womp played in the town earlier this summer.
“Ipswich not only hosts the big stars of today, like JLS, but it is proving to be ideal for unearthing the stars of tomorrow,
- 1 Men convicted of kidnap and rape of Ipswich girl
- 2 Man stabbed in back and sides in Ipswich attack
- 3 Two arrests made following stabbing
- 4 A12 reopens after air ambulance called to three-lorry crash
- 5 'We're lucky to get her back' - Drone finds missing Pinky after 17 days
- 6 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 7 Weather warning for Suffolk as thunderstorms expected to affect travel
- 8 New Venezuelan restaurant to bring fusion of flavour to Ipswich
- 9 Serving police officer appears in court over alleged misconduct offence
- 10 Baby Elsie in ship-shape despite dramatic birth in car at Sutton Hoo
“Now we offer our congratulations to Sam and the Womp,” she said.