Frustration over incinerator talks

COMMUNITY leaders today voiced their frustration after crucial talks over controversial incinerator proposals failed to satisfy their concerns.

COMMUNITY leaders today voiced their frustration after crucial talks over controversial incinerator proposals failed to satisfy their concerns.

Parish councillors aimed to set the record straight by grilling officers involved in the county's waste disposal strategy.

The politicians from Barham, Great Blakenham, Claydon and Whitton mobilised for the closed-door meeting after Suffolk County Council announced it was consulting on whether to put a second smoke-billowing facility in the village.

However, the parish councils said they had been left “disappointed” after the council's Graham Gunby and David Botwright were unable to answer key questions in relation to the plans.

Shirley Fairburn, chairwoman of Great Blakenham Parish Council, said: “All we heard was that there have been five sites identified, allegedly suitable for waste treatment facilities, but little in the way of detail.

“While some of the information provided was useful, overall members were disappointed that many of the questions we wanted answered were outside the remit of the two council officers.

Most Read

“We heard, for example, that even if two incinerators were built at Great Blakenham, plus a new housing development of 420 dwellings, SnOasis and other projects, there would be no material effect on the A14.

“We will be calling for an urgent meeting with Guy McGregor and Lisa Chambers who are the respective portfolio holders.”

Suffolk County Council has already confirmed it wants a power-producing facility to burn household waste on its highways depot.

Now it is looking at the possibility of building another one for business rubbish on the Masons landfill site around half a mile away.

A spokesman for Suffolk County Council said: “The representatives from the four parish councils had questions about the planning process which the officers were able to answer.

“However, the parish councillors also had questions specifically about the planned Energy from Waste facility which the planners were unable to answer and these have been referred to the county council's waste team which is responsible for the Energy for Waste project.”

Will you be responding to the consultation document? Write to Your Letters, The Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or send us an e-mail to eveningstarletters@eveningstar.co.uk

Suffolk County Council's Waste Core Strategy consultation document is available to view at libraries, district and borough council offices, county council receptions and on line at www.suffolk.gov.uk by following Environment, Minerals and Waste Planning, Waste Planning and then Waste Development Framework.

The consultation will end at 5pm on October 9.