Gallery: Ipswich Buddhists mark enlightenment day
- Credit: Lucy Taylor
Buddhists celebrated the biggest day in their faith’s calendar with a festival of enlightenment yesterday.
The day of activities at the Ipswich Buddhist Centre in Christchurch Park marked the day the Buddha found enlightenment around 2,500 years ago.
Buddhists re-dedicated the centre, held meditation sessions and talks on the relevance of Buddhism in the 21st Century.
Dharmacari Swadipa said: “It is the most important day and went very well.
“There is a strong Buddhist community in Ipswich, and the value of compassion is particularly relevant.”
You may also want to watch:
The centre is open to newcomers from 7.30pm on Wednesdays.
- 1 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 2 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 3 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 4 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 6 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 7 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 8 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 9 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 10 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town