George Burley officially opens new dome at Ipswich Sports Club
- Credit: Archant
Former Ipswich Town manager George Burley was the guest of honour at the Ipswich Sports Club open weekend.
Burley, a club member and keen tennis player, officially opened the organisation’s new air dome which allows the facilities to be used throughout the winter during his visit on Saturday.
The dome was completed with support from both the Lawn Tennis Association and the Suffolk Lawn Tennis Association, and increases the club’s indoor provision from three to six courts
Over the weekend the public had its first chance to view the new dome, as well as experiencing a tour of the club – which dates back to 1870 – meet the team and even have a game of tennis.
Andrew Yorke, general manager at the club, said: “The open weekend went really well, and included an academy programme with some of our top kids training for people to watch. We are pleased as we had quite a few people come and just get a flavour of the club, as well as around 60 people to listen to George Burley.
“George pointed out that he opened our indoor tennis centre 22 years’ ago, so he opened the original and now the second one.
“He has a long history with the club and we are delighted he is so supportive of what we are trying to achieve.
- 1 Kesgrave family move home to cope with 'crippling' cost of living
- 2 Ipswich man jailed for 25 years after teen left paralysed in shooting
- 3 Bank cards stolen as five cars broken into across Ipswich this weekend
- 4 80-year-old woman was stuck in a lift for 10 hours
- 5 Matchday Recap: Two second-half goals inspire Town win
- 6 Delays on A14 after two-vehicle crash
- 7 Ipswich cannabis dealer avoids immediate jail sentence
- 8 Man who repeatedly hit partner jailed for 64 weeks
- 9 Ipswich bricklayer dragged wife out of car before kicking and punching her
- 10 'Depraved' Felixstowe man jailed for child sex offences
“We are a local club run by members and looking to expand and encourage people to come along, and we are keen to be part of the community. We have recently got involved with a visually impaired tennis group, and we are open to all, not just the top players, but leisure and social players too.”
Ipswich Sports Club, on Henley Road, includes tennis, hockey and squash.