Girdlestone jobs to go
FORTY-one jobs could go in Melton by Christmas with the announcement by Girdlestone Pumps announced it was to close its operation in the town.Staff at the Station Road plant were told of the news on Friday and are today continuing a redundancy consultation process with management.
FORTY-one jobs could go in Melton by Christmas with the announcement by Girdlestone Pumps announced it was to close its operation in the town.
Staff at the Station Road plant were told of the news on Friday and are today continuing a redundancy consultation process with management.
The company, which specialises in the marketing and design of pumps and pumping equipment, has been operating from their Melton site for more than 30 years.
Up until 2000, the site was used in the production of pumps used in many industries, including oil, gas, mining and power.
You may also want to watch:
Helen Walker, public relations manager for the Weir Group, the parent company of Girdlestone, said: "This is never an easy thing to do and it's unfortunate for the staff. But the truth is that it's no longer viable to operate from there.
"It's really in line with the company strategy of product rationalisation that has been going on for quite a while."
- 1 Car hits front of Ipswich convenience store
- 2 Look inside beautiful £1.2million home with a pool near Felixstowe
- 3 New home developments boost Ipswich's 'connected town' ambition
- 4 Audi left wrecked after late-night crash in Ipswich
- 5 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 6 35 pictures from Ipswich Town's friendly clash with Palace
- 7 Christmas in July! Ipswich friends host summer festive feast
- 8 The 10 most Instagrammable spots in Ipswich - is your favourite on the list?
- 9 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 10 Did you hear the loud 'bang' coming from Ipswich park?
The operations will be switched to the Glasgow headquarters of the Weir Group, who took over Girdlestone's previous parent company, Warman International, in 1999.
Jobs at the Melton plant are expected to be safe until around Christmas while the 30-day consultation process continues, although job losses are inevitable.
The brand name of Girdlestone will remain in place in the form of a branded pump even after production switches to Glasgow.