Girl, nine, attacked at school
POLICE have launched an investigation today after a nine-year-old girl was assaulted in the grounds of an Ipswich primary school.The youngster was playing in a field at Downing Primary School, in Downing Close last Monday when a teenager jumped over the fence, pushed her over and pinned her to the floor.
POLICE have launched an investigation today after a nine-year-old girl was assaulted in the grounds of an Ipswich primary school.
The youngster was playing in a field at Downing Primary School, in Downing Close last Monday when a teenager jumped over the fence, pushed her over and pinned her to the floor.
The girl's friends helped her escape and ran for help.
Margo Barker, headteacher at the school, said it was not entirely clear what had happened at this stage but said staff were keeping a close eye on youngsters at playtimes.
She said: “It seems that a teenager jumped over the fence and pushed her over. She hasn't said that she said anything to him to make him do that.
“I have spoken to the children about it and am in touch with the girl's parents.
- 1 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 2 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 3 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 4 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 5 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 6 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 7 Homes with 'stunning' coastal views by Felixstowe golf club up for sale
- 8 Ipswich homes left without electricity after power cut
- 9 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 10 Care home worker may be jailed after using resident's bank card
“We have six midday assistants on duty at lunchtimes and we keep a close eye on the children.”
She said the girl was in an area of the field which is out of bounds to youngsters when the incident happened.
The attack is believed to have happened in the corner of the school field near St Josephs College at about 12.45pm on Monday, May 15.
A spokeswoman for Ipswich police said the assault had happened at lunchtime when a teenager on a bike had jumped over the fence and attacked the girl for no apparent reason.
She said specialist officers were likely to speak to the girl and her friends again to ascertain exactly what had happened.
The offender is described as a white male in his late teens.
He was wearing light blue trousers, a darker blue hooded top pulled over his head and dark glasses. Anyone with information about the incident should call Pc Jon Rodriguez at Ipswich police on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Have you been the victim of a random attack? Write to: Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail: email@example.com.