Search

Glass shock for boy eating crisps

PUBLISHED: 01:33 29 April 2003 | UPDATED: 13:48 03 March 2010

PRAWN cocktail crisps proved to be a dangerous mouthful for a young Ipswich boy.

Little Shawn Miley was enjoying one of his favourite treats, when he realised there was something unusually crunchy in his mouth - glass.

PRAWN cocktail crisps proved to be a dangerous mouthful for a young Ipswich boy.

Little Shawn Miley was enjoying one of his favourite treats, when he realised there was something unusually crunchy in his mouth – glass.

Two-year-old Shawn, who lives with his dad, Andrew Miley, 23, and mum, Sara Grant, 23, in Ipswich's Myrtle Road, was enjoying the packet of Walkers crisps on Thursday lunchtime.

Mr Miley said: "Shawn was eating a packet of crisps and we didn't think anything of it until we heard a crunching noise. So we opened his mouth and found three bits of glass. Luckily we had caught it just in time and his mouth wasn't bleeding.

"We rushed him to Ipswich Hospital where he had an x-ray. Fortunately, he didn't seem to have swallowed any pieces of glass – or any large enough to show up on the X-ray."

Shawn is back to his normal self, but his mum and dad are still in shock.

"I feel really angry and upset," said Mr Miley.

"I am very scared and I don't think I will ever buy a packet of Walkers crisps again. You always think the worst after something like this happens.

The crisps came in a multi-pack bought from Morrisons supermarket in Sproughton Road, Ipswich.

Peter Morley, general manager, said: "We have not had any complaints about any crisps before. And not from Walkers – they are our top selling brand."

A spokeswoman for Walkers Crisps said: "We take complaints like this very seriously and we will be conducting a full investigation into the matter."

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists