7 steps to add to your daily oral hygiene routine for healthy teeth and gums
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Our smile is one of our most important features. It’s how we’re able to communicate with others, express ourselves, ease tension and even improve our health.
Smiling releases endorphins that help to reduce our blood pressure, pains and aches, as well as boost our immune system. Therefore, knowing how to care for and maintain good dental health is essential to our wellbeing.
To find out more, we chat with Dr Petya Chaprazova from the dentistry team at the Dental Art Implant Clinics. Below she shares seven simple steps everyone can follow for healthy teeth and gums.
1. Maintain a proper oral hygiene routine
“I recommend brushing your teeth for at least two minutes twice a day and paying special attention to reach all areas of the mouth, including the backs of your teeth, the gum line and tongue,” Petya says.
Establish a routine that works for you, that you can repeat every morning and evening. This is one of the best ways to maintain a glowing smile, and prevent other dental issues such as periodontal (gum) diseases and tooth decay.
2. Switch to a clean section of floss every time you move to a new tooth
Part of establishing a correct dental hygiene routine is knowing how to use your equipment.
- 1 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 2 Adventure Golf attraction set to make way for new homes
- 3 Search for new Post Office in east Ipswich
- 4 Felixstowe man who trashed his ex's home ordered to pay compensation
- 5 Cocaine dealers involved in 'Bash' drugs line in Suffolk are jailed
- 6 'It's what I know and love': Former lorry driver opens food truck on A12
- 7 Revealed: The Indian restaurants in Ipswich with five-star hygiene ratings
- 8 Ipswich bricklayer dragged wife out of car before kicking and punching her
- 9 'Real vote of confidence' - New Travelodge starts building work by stadium
- 10 Fire crews called to fire on flat balcony in busy Ipswich road
“When flossing you should use a good amount, roughly 5cm. You can then wrap this around your thumb and index finger for a good motion,” Petya explains.
Slide the floss up and down around each tooth, moving gently to avoid cuts or injury. Be sure to use a different area of floss for each part you clean, for better results.
3. Use an appropriate amount of mouthwash
It can sometimes be hard to know how much mouthwash you should use and for how long.
“Follow the instructions on the label, or if not a good rule of thumb, is to fill the bottle cap that comes on the mouthwash. You should swill the solution around your mouth for 30 seconds before spitting it out,” Petya says.
Some mouthwashes may require you to dilute them with water. It’s best to check the bottle before application.
4. Stick to a healthy diet
Nutrition also plays a vital role in helping you to care for your teeth and gums. By adding certain foods to your diet, such as leafy greens, nuts and berries, you can strengthen your oral health.
“These foods are packed with nutrients and calcium, necessary for healthy teeth and gums,” Petya says. “You should also avoid consuming too many acidic fizzy drinks and sugary foods as these can erode the enamel that protects your teeth.”
5. Visit your dentist at least twice a year
“Receiving regular dental check-ups will help ensure proper oral hygiene is maintained. Your dentist can advise what changes you can make to your routine to better care for your teeth and gums,” Petya shares.
6. Seek dental implant treatment to restore the look and feel of your teeth
“One of the most common dental issues we treat our patients for is tooth loss,” says Petya.
Tooth loss can result in changes to your facial structure and cause your jawbone to shrink, making you appear older. It can also lead to an improper bite distribution, putting additional strain on your natural teeth and causing irreparable damage.
“This is why it’s best to address these issues as soon as possible. With the help of dental implant treatment, we can help restore the look and the functionality of the missing natural teeth,” Petya says.
7. Book a consultation at Dental Art Implant Clinics to restore confidence in your smile
Dental Art Implant Clinics can offer you advice about how to improve your smile. Using orthodontic treatments such as Invisalign, they can straighten your teeth and address cosmetic issues such as teeth discolouration, chipped teeth or gaps with the help of veneers.
“Using the latest dental implant treatment methods and technologies, our team of dental experts can address a wide range of dental problems,” Petya says. “We can help you feel at your very best and ensure you have the confidence to share your smile with the world.”
To find out more about caring for your teeth and looking after your smile, visit dentalartimplantclinic.co.uk.