Helmet might have saved Lee's life
A YOUNG biker who died after smashing into a barrier at Ipswich Port has today been named as Lee Smith, from Turner Road in the town.The 20-year-old might have lived if he had been wearing a helmet, paramedics said today.
A YOUNG biker who died after smashing into a barrier at Ipswich Port has today been named as Lee Smith, from Turner Road in the town.
The 20-year-old might have lived if he had been wearing a helmet, paramedics said today.
A paramedic who went to the scene of the crash on Wednesday night said: "He would have had a significantly greater chance of survival if he had been wearing a crash helmet."
Mr Smith died in hospital early yesterday, following the crash on Orwell Quay at around 10.45pm on Wednesday.
Paramedics fought to save his life on the quayside near to the Jacksons building site.
Although he was in cardiac arrest when they reached him, they got his heart beating again and took him to Ipswich Hospital, but he died just a few hours later.
- 1 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 2 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 3 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 4 Ipswich homes left without electricity after power cut
- 5 Police seek driver who failed to stop at scene of crash
- 6 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 7 Festive shoppers brave the cold for Christmas street market in Ipswich
- 8 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 9 New gift card to encourage shoppers to use Ipswich town centre
- 10 Felixstowe Christmas light switch on outshines dreary weather
A group of youngsters were seen running away after the accident.
However, paramedics said it was unlikely he had been left there alone for long.
They were called at 10.46pm, receiving the alert from a mobile phone.
Mr Smith had been riding an off-road style of motorbike, which police believe may have been one that had already been scrapped and then put back together.
He crashed into a red and white striped barrier which is let down during the evenings to prevent vehicles going along the quay.
Anyone with information about the accident should call Pc Bryan Scanlon from Suffolk Traffic Police on 01473 613500.