Helmet might have saved Lee's life
A YOUNG biker who died after smashing into a barrier at Ipswich Port has today been named as Lee Smith, from Turner Road in the town.The 20-year-old might have lived if he had been wearing a helmet, paramedics said today.
A YOUNG biker who died after smashing into a barrier at Ipswich Port has today been named as Lee Smith, from Turner Road in the town.
The 20-year-old might have lived if he had been wearing a helmet, paramedics said today.
A paramedic who went to the scene of the crash on Wednesday night said: "He would have had a significantly greater chance of survival if he had been wearing a crash helmet."
Mr Smith died in hospital early yesterday, following the crash on Orwell Quay at around 10.45pm on Wednesday.
You may also want to watch:
Paramedics fought to save his life on the quayside near to the Jacksons building site.
Although he was in cardiac arrest when they reached him, they got his heart beating again and took him to Ipswich Hospital, but he died just a few hours later.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 2 Heavy police presence spotted in Ipswich as man arrested
- 3 Rushmere man admits downloading indecent images of children
- 4 9 bargain attractions within an hour of Ipswich
- 5 Hail, thunder and gusty winds forecast for Suffolk
- 6 Pub bosses hope for 'return to normality' as Covid cases fall in Ipswich
- 7 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 8 Ipswich father caught with indecent images of children avoids jail
- 9 Woman in 80s remains in hospital after serious collision in Ipswich
- 10 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
A group of youngsters were seen running away after the accident.
However, paramedics said it was unlikely he had been left there alone for long.
They were called at 10.46pm, receiving the alert from a mobile phone.
Mr Smith had been riding an off-road style of motorbike, which police believe may have been one that had already been scrapped and then put back together.
He crashed into a red and white striped barrier which is let down during the evenings to prevent vehicles going along the quay.
Anyone with information about the accident should call Pc Bryan Scanlon from Suffolk Traffic Police on 01473 613500.