Hetty's life spanned two centuries
NOT many people live from the 19th century to the 21st, but Hetty Steward is among a small band of people who did.Hetty, nee King, was 104-years-old when she died at her home, in Kent Lodge, Woodbridge Road, Ipswich on Friday.
NOT many people live from the 19th century to the 21st, but Hetty Steward is among a small band of people who did.
Hetty, nee King, was 104-years-old when she died at her home, in Kent Lodge, Woodbridge Road, Ipswich on Friday.
Born on January 31, 1899 in Tuttington, Norfolk, she married Ernest Steward in 1931 and lived in Norwich.
The couple had two children, Gwendoline and Brian, five grandchildren and two great grandchildren.
Son-in-law Michael Moore, 73, of Arundel Way, Ipswich, said: "We'll remember her for always being happy and for her singing.
"We saw her on the day before she died and the carers said she had been singing to them at 5am. She did like to sing."
- 1 Woman injured after car flips on its roof near Ipswich
- 2 Developer criticised for 'failing to meet obligations'
- 3 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 4 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
- 5 WATCH: Adorable family of foxes enjoy play time at an Ipswich doorstep
- 6 Friends raise money for garden for terminally ill Suffolk mum
- 7 Mother who befriended son's killer discusses his new book
- 8 'We are both in love' - Ed Sheeran announces birth of second daughter
- 9 Fencing around historic Trimley station causes scare for local community
- 10 Jail for man who drove stolen car at police officers
Hetty, who had eight brothers and sisters, worked as a nanny when she first left school and in later years worked as a finisher at Cohen's Clothing, in Norwich.
She moved to Ipswich in 1979 following the death of her husband lived there until her death.
Hetty celebrated her last birthday with her family and friends and marked the occasion by singing On Top of Old Smoky. She also read her birthday cards out loud, without the help of her glasses.
Mr Moore added the family would like to thank the staff at Kent Lodge for the excellent care Hetty received during her time there.
Her funeral is being held on August 13 in Norwich.