Hetty's life spanned two centuries
NOT many people live from the 19th century to the 21st, but Hetty Steward is among a small band of people who did.Hetty, nee King, was 104-years-old when she died at her home, in Kent Lodge, Woodbridge Road, Ipswich on Friday.
NOT many people live from the 19th century to the 21st, but Hetty Steward is among a small band of people who did.
Hetty, nee King, was 104-years-old when she died at her home, in Kent Lodge, Woodbridge Road, Ipswich on Friday.
Born on January 31, 1899 in Tuttington, Norfolk, she married Ernest Steward in 1931 and lived in Norwich.
The couple had two children, Gwendoline and Brian, five grandchildren and two great grandchildren.
You may also want to watch:
Son-in-law Michael Moore, 73, of Arundel Way, Ipswich, said: "We'll remember her for always being happy and for her singing.
"We saw her on the day before she died and the carers said she had been singing to them at 5am. She did like to sing."
- 1 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
- 2 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 3 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 4 Man caught with indecent images of children avoids jail
- 5 Suffolk elections 2021: When to expect results
- 6 Cyclist suffers injuries after crash in Ipswich
- 7 WATCH: Family of wild foxes caught on camera in Ipswich garden
- 8 Ipswich primary school goes green for classmate with hearing loss
- 9 Man smashed ATM screen at service station after not receiving cash
- 10 How does traffic congestion in Ipswich compare to pre lockdown?
Hetty, who had eight brothers and sisters, worked as a nanny when she first left school and in later years worked as a finisher at Cohen's Clothing, in Norwich.
She moved to Ipswich in 1979 following the death of her husband lived there until her death.
Hetty celebrated her last birthday with her family and friends and marked the occasion by singing On Top of Old Smoky. She also read her birthday cards out loud, without the help of her glasses.
Mr Moore added the family would like to thank the staff at Kent Lodge for the excellent care Hetty received during her time there.
Her funeral is being held on August 13 in Norwich.