Horrific ordeal for jeweller
A JEWELLERY shop owner suffered a knife wound to her throat after a terrifying raid in Bury St Edmunds.The drama unfolded just before 5pm on Wednesday at the Gold and Silver Studio in Hatter St when a man walked into the shop and attacked the female proprietor with the knife.
A JEWELLERY shop owner suffered a knife wound to her throat after a terrifying raid in Bury St Edmunds.
The drama unfolded just before 5pm on Wednesday at the Gold and Silver Studio in Hatter St when a man walked into the shop and attacked the female proprietor with the knife.
He then snatched a valuable diamond ring before running off on foot – but a chase through the centre of the town then followed.
Detectives say the male owner of the shop was among those in pursuit of the man.
You may also want to watch:
A Suffolk police spokeswoman said: "He made off on foot but was chased by the male proprietor and members of the public. He was pursued to Abbeygate St, where he assaulted the male proprietor."
A man was eventually detained by two off-duty police officers shopping in Bury St Edmunds at the time.
- 1 Audi left wrecked after late-night crash in Ipswich
- 2 Woman 'alarmed and distressed' after verbal abuse in Ipswich
- 3 Did you hear the loud 'bang' coming from Ipswich park?
- 4 Matchday Recap: Plenty of positives despite Palace defeat
- 5 Work to start on 150 new Ipswich council homes next year
- 6 Family concerned after 15-year-old girl reported missing from Ipswich
- 7 New homes and dormitory block planned for Ipswich school site
- 8 Man who controlled Ipswich drug line jailed for five years
- 9 Restraining order for venue boss who intimidated council leader's daughter
- 10 Bin lorry driver ran over colleague's leg in Kesgrave
Police said the woman attacked in the shop was taken to West Suffolk Hospital for treatment to her injuries.
However, she did not have to stay in and was released later after she had been attended to by medics.
The police spokeswoman said a 45-year-old man from Sussex was being questioned by detectives at Bury St Edmunds police station.